14 Weird Things That Are Totally Normal In Dorms

The laundry room is an intense place.

902
Indira Midha

As someone finishing up their time in the dorms, I can tell incoming freshmen a thing or two about the truth of living in the residence halls with traditional style bathrooms. During the first month, this stuff might seem super weird, out of place, embarrassing, and sometimes even wrong. But, as you grow more accustomed to living in the dorms, you'll come to find these things quite normal, and sometimes even funny.

1. Seeing members of the opposite gender in towels/undergarments.

At first, I was super weirded out by this. I would run from the bathroom to my room in my purple bathrobe hoping and praying that no one saw me. I also was kinda alarmed when I would see guys walking around in just boxers or towels. This is funny to even reflect on because now I can have conversations with people in the hall while in my bathrobe, and I've seen guys in the hall in nothing but boxers many times. Also, not even going to lie, I sometimeshear them go into the showers together and collectively sing Shape Of You (very loudly and at ungodly hours, may I add). Oh, the joys of sharing a wall with a men's bathroom. But something that used to genuinely freak me out has now become hilarious.

2. Having conversations with someone in the shower stall next to yours.

I used to think the bathroom was a get in, mind your own business, get out, kind of thing. Boy, was I wrong. My roommate and I have definitely gone to shower at the same time and jammed out to The Weekend together, and I'm 200% positive that we aren't the only ones who have done this. One time, I had a 20-minute conversation while showering with a girl on my hall that I went to high school with, and it was super chill and nice to be able to catch up. FYI, the showers are in stalls with doors, so you have your privacy (otherwise this would be super creepy).

3. Having several different people play music in the showers at one time.

Sometimes I want to listen to my reggaeton, the girl in the next stall over wants to listen to Disney music, and the girl in the next stall over wants to listen to country. From inside the stalls, you can only hear your own music, so it works. Happy shower singing to all.

4. Showering in the middle of the day.

Sometimes, you just have to roll out of bed, brush your teeth, grab your laptop, and run to class. Waking up early is H-A-R-D. So, instead of eating lunch, sometimes you need to run back to your dorm to shower and eat some granola bars during your next lecture for lunch. It happens to the best of us, y'all.

5. Being on a first-name basis with the pizza delivery guy.

We love you, Dan from Domino's.

6. Going to the dining hall in pajamas.

I'd like to reiterate, mornings are hard people. Sometimes you need to eat before you can even think of doing anything else. I thought everyone would hardcore judge me the first time I did it, but that totally wasn't the case. I don't do it unless I have to, but realistically speaking, wearing a huge t-shirt with no bra and polka-dotted pajama pants doesn't change my experience consuming undercooked scrambled eggs, and it really doesn't bother anybody.

7. Fitting 13 people on 2 twin XL beds and a couple of rolly chairs.

It can be done. Especially during the winter months when you can't be outside for more time than absolutely essential, you run out of places to go. Especially since the college life is extremely broke, it is often easiest to just go hang out at a friend's dorm - no money spent. You might have to sit way too close for comfort with some people, but just look at it as a bonding experience and hope they didn't eat onions that day.

8. Everyone snap-chatting fire drills with the caption, "Hate you (insert dorm name)."

They always seem to happen at the most inconvenient times (*cough* on a Sunday at 9 am while it was snowing *cough*). The rage is real, and sometimes sharing it on social media is the only way to deal.

9. Using the elevator more than the stairs.

You tell yourself at the beginning of the year that you'll take those 4 flights of stairs every day multiple times and it'll be good extra exercise. You tell yourself you'll only take the elevator when going to the laundry room with your hamper. I'm hysterically laughing as I write this, so that should tell you about my elevator habits.

10. Drinking the fountain water even though it tastes like pool water.

The Brita filter doesn't make it taste any better, and it definitely tastes like a mouthful of chlorine, but are you really going to go buy a $1.50 bottle from the vending machine every time you're thirsty? Your wallet is laughing at you for even considering it.

11. Growing to hate the song you put as your alarm.

Let's just say that my roommate and I will never voluntarily choose to listen to Do My Thang or One Dance ever again.

12. Laundry giving you anxiety.

It's always the best when your dryer doesn't work and you have to wait for another dryer to get free so you can put your sopping wet clothes in again and delay your life for another 55 minutes! Yay, so fun! It's also super fun when you find a ball of blonde hair in your favorite sweatshirt and you're Indian, so you don't have a single blonde hair on your body. It is also lovely when you lug two week's worth of laundry to the laundry room at a weird time and still find every machine taken and a line of more people waiting. This is all just great, really.

13. Being passive-aggressive with laundry machines.

If you leave your laundry in the machine after your cycle is done, you suck. I used to think I would never touch someone else's laundry, but I've grown into the kind of person that no longer cares. This is normal, to get your wet stuff set on top of a machine when you didn't set a timer for yourself and leave your stuff in one of the 6 working laundry machines for a building of 400 people for longer than your cycle. Don't do it, be a good citizen/human.

14. Being super excited to move into an apartment next year, but realizing you're actually going to miss your crappy little dorm.

Thanks for all the good mems, room 439.