14 Ways To Practice Self Care

14 Ways To Practice Self Care

Be intentional about taking care of yourself.

15
14 Ways To Practice Self Care
Ben White

Life is crazy. We get stuck in our daily routines, and often forget to prioritize small, yet important tasks, such as taking proper care of ourselves. As a college student, I'll be the first to say that it is way too easy to neglect both mental and physical health. The best way to ensure we are getting what we need is to be intentional about it. Don't know where to start? Try some of these helpful tips!

1. Watch a funny show/movie

Laughter is the best medicine. Watching a funny show or movie is a great way to relax and de-stress.

2. Meditate

Meditation has many scientifically proven benefits. It reduces anxiety, stress and depression, while increasing social connectedness, optimism, and helps you regulate your emotions (just to name a few!)

3. Find a hobby

Hobbies are a great way to invest in yourself. They are especially beneficial if they challenge you physically.

4. Keep a journal

Whether it is a prayer journal, a gratitude journal or just a good old fashioned diary, journaling helps you stay in tune with yourself.

5. Get enough sleep

This is one many people struggle with. It often seems as though there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything, so we sacrifice a few hours of sleep to work on other things. This is not good for our bodies, and as a result, our mental state suffers. Listen to your body and get a good night's sleep.

6. Turn off your phone

Technology is a gift... and a curse. It won't kill you to take a break from screen time for a little while each day. Take time to do this especially before you go to bed; staring at bright screens before bedtime often increases insomnia.

7. Drink plenty of water

Nobody likes to do it, but it must be done.

8. Cry when necessary

Crying is not a weakness, it is good for you. When you need to cry, cry. Holding all of your emotions in is extremely unhealthy.

9. Get out of toxic relationships

If there is someone in your life who is physically or emotionally harming you, you need to say goodbye to them. You will be better off.

10. Take a walk

Being out in nature is a good way to clear your mind and relax. Plus, it's a great way to burn a few extra calories!

11. Compliment yourself each day

This may sound silly, but it is often too easy to forget to appreciate ourselves. Compliment yourself at least once in front of a mirror each day, and it could do wonders for your self-esteem.

12. Learn to say no

Be able to say no to others and yourself when necessary. This is an important skill to have to ensure that others do not walk all over you and so that you can discipline yourself when you have a goal.

13. Learn to say yes

Being able to say no is important, but it's also okay to say yes some of the time.

14. Pray

Praying is so important. Regularly talking to God provides peace, joy, discernment and a number of other things that will enhance our day to day lives.