14 Things That Happen When You Give A Girl A Little Brother

You give her so much more than that.

249
Flickr Creative Commons

When you give a girl a little brother, she's probably going to wish you hadn't in the beginning. Little boys are obsessed with just about anything gross, and they live to drive the people that they love absolutely crazy - it's just how they are. I wasn't crazy about the idea of having a little brother, but I ended up with two. I'm not gonna lie, I wished that they were little sisters sometimes. Now, though, I wouldn't trade them for the world. That's because when you give a girl a little brother, you give her so much more than just that.

When you give a girl a little brother...

1. You give her laughter.

Even though they can be gross, it's pretty hilarious to see the crazy things they'll do with no shame whatsoever. Whether it's him trying to ride the dog like a horse, or stripping down in the middle of a water park... you can't help but laugh.

2. You give her a teacher.

Yes, those little people can teach you - more than you know. You learn the little things, like how you are never to pull anyone's finger under ANY circumstances, and you also learn to breathe out of your mouth in times of desperation.

3. You give her a student.

They are always, always watching you. They're watching the way you make a sandwich, the way you jump in the pool, and even the way you write. They're copying you too. They're repeating everything you say and doing everything you do.

4. You give her someone who understands.

They live in your house, they see the same things you see - and chances are, they feel the same way you do a lot of times. They are someone you can always go to when you need to talk, or just sit in silence, with someone who understands.

5. You give her a backbone.

You grow that backbone after the first time you let them in your room for them to "play" and they cover your closet door in your favorite mascara, or they try to catch the fish in your fish tank with their bare hands.

6. You give her anger she's never felt before.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who loses it over the least little thing someone may do or say to my little brothers. Like I said, I might be crazy, but dang. Nothing makes me angrier than someone messing with my bros.

7. You give her the ability to forgive.

You have to, really. Otherwise, you'd be holding a grudge over an insane amount of things they've done. You learn to forgive them for peeing on the toilet seat every morning, or for not drying up the bathroom floor after they soak it getting out of the shower. These are things WAY too small to spend time fretting over.

8. You give her patience.

Brothers come with patience. Especially when they're little. You have to remember that they're still learning how to walk, talk, use a spoon, and potty training can require more training than most have.

9. You give her unconditional love.

No matter what they do, you love them just as much, if not more than, the day before. Nothing can change your love for them, and you'd do anything for them - and that's what love is all about.

10. You give her a true friend.

They always are there to give some advice you probably won't take, or to make you laugh when you just want to cry. They're right down the hall, and they never turn you away.

11. You give her an ally.

They ALWAYS take your side, no matter what. At least, when it's someone other than them. You can always count on them to have your back in any situation.

12. You give her someone to blame.

Everyone does it. They're way too cute to actually get in trouble when they act out, so why not use them to keep yourself out of trouble? "Yes mom, it was he who took your favorite lipstick and took it to my bathroom!"

13. You give her memories she'll cherish.

Some of my fondest memories from my childhood/teenage years are spent riding dirt roads on the back of their four-wheelers or letting them drive my car on the dirt road "just to the house, then we switch back". I'll always cherish those times, nothing can take those away from me.

14. You give her a hand to hold, forever.

No matter where life takes the two of you, your little brother will always be there. You'll be states away, or maybe just a few houses, but they'll still be on your speed dial, the first person you call when your mom is driving you crazy, and you'll always be there to support them (and be protective over them) no matter what.

At 21, I couldn't imagine life without those two little brothers who I once thought cried way too much and were totally gross. They are the most important people in my life, because when I think about it... they're not just my little brothers. They're so much more than that.

When you give a girl a little brother, you give her so much more.