14 Things That Every Idahoan Knows To Be True

We're more than potatoes and tractors

1329
Deviant Art

The Great State of Idaho, in all its grandeur, is probably the most underrated state in the Union. Everyone assumes we grow potatoes and have buck teeth, and that's not even touching on our family trees. However, Idahoans know Idaho to be very different from its stereotype. If you've ever lived in Idaho, here are 14 things you know to be true.

1. YOU-da-ho

Every single time you go out of the state, you have to brace yourself before you announce you're from Idaho because you know there's going to be that one person that will laugh and say, with all originality, "You-da-ho." Odds are they've been telling that joke since 1890.

2. Lewis and Clark

Sure, they went through a dozen other states and were only in Idaho for a short time, but Sacawagea was from Idaho, so you've always felt a little more connection to the explorers

3. The four seasons of Idaho

There's the long cold winter set to rival that of Winterfell. Then it's still winter. Then there's mud season. And then, the second longest season of them all lasting from April until late October, the most dreaded of them all, road construction.

5. Playing in the snow

Any sport that is played outside will, at some point, be played in snow. It can be August, but there's still a 10% chance it'll snow.

6. The 1A drivers

They're the best. They always use their blinker and follow the speed limit and they would never tailgate you they're much too courteous and respectful for that. Excuse me I have to go rinse my mouth with bleach now.

7. "Oh...potatoes!"

The only thing anyone knows about Idaho is that we have potatoes. You know what we have more of than potatoes? Lakes. And mountains. And forests. And beautiful drives and a lot of other great things that do not rhyme with tomato.

8. Going on trips

Everything is at least 45 minutes, if not two hours away. It's a long drive to anywhere. If you ever played sports, your bus ride was longer than your game.

9. "Iowa?"

Breaking news, but Idaho and Iowa are two totally different states. Yet, when you say you're from Idaho, people will give you a puzzled look, then raise their eyebrows and say "Iowa?" And once they remember that, yes, Idaho is a state, the YOU-da-ho joke is not far behind.

10. You sound like you're from Canada

Or the south. There's no in-between. Either you have a slight Canadian accent (which basically means you have virtually NO accent) or you have a subtle southern accent which makes no sense because you've never been south of the 45th parallel.

11. Everyone assumes you live on a farm

And grew up driving tractors, and never finished high school and dropped out to go work on the farm and your only goal in life is to grow potatoes

12. "Napoleon Dynamite"

The most notable thing Idaho ever did. Vote for Pedro! (Still a better candidate than Trump or Hillary).

13. BSU versus U of I

It doesn't matter they're not in the same conference anymore. It doesn't matter they haven't played each other in years. It doesn't matter if you do or don't watch football, you will be dragged into the BSU vs U of I drama and you will be forced to take sides. McCall north, good bet you're U of I. McCall south, good bet you're BSU. McCall, itself? Battle zone.

14. You're OK with it

Because the truth is, Idaho is so great because it's such a hidden gem (get it, gem state, hidden gem. I think I'm punny). Idaho will always and forever be your Idahome and you'll go to other places and realize that Idaho has something special and unique that makes it truly spectacular — and no, it's not potatoes.