14 Things You Know To Be True If You're A Pre-Health Student

Together we are united by our struggle to get into professional school

20
The Collegian

Health care is an incredible field. It's innovative, it's always growing, and it's vital to the public. Being a health care professional is so fulfilling, but there is one definite drawback... COLLEGE. Pre-health students are arguably the craziest people on campus because they're volunteering to be miserable all throughout college. It can be a rough life, but for some reason, we love it. Here I give you: 14 things all pre-health students can relate to...

1. *Looks at class requirements* "How am I supposed to fit all of these classes in my schedule???"

Between undergrad degree requirements and preferred courses for grad school, you've got like 10000000 credit hours of classes to tackle.

2. Being really optimistic on the first day of a core science class (organic chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, etc.)

It's always easy to feel optimistic towards the beginning of the semester.

3. Feeling considerably less optimistic as the class goes on

Class seems pretty chill for the first couple of weeks until you come to the realization that for the next 15 weeks you'll have to eat, sleep, and breathe the material if you want any hope of passing.

4. Showing up to lab unprepared

Just skimming through the lab seems like a good idea until you're actually in the lab and have no idea what you should be doing.

5. When you're left cramming the night before an exam

You didn't study enough during the week, then next thing you know, you're still up at 2:30 in the morning the night before an exam trying to cram.

6. Trying to be a "well-rounded student"

There's nothing like being a full-time student while simultaneously trying to have a job, be involved, get good grades, and gain experience in your desired job field. It really teaches you the meaning of multitasking.

7. "Maybe I should just switch majors"

On tough days, it's easy to fantasize what it would be like to switch to an "easy" major.

8. "Or maybe I should just drop out"

On really bad days, dropping out of college may just cross your mind.

9. "Because who needs an education anyway?"

Because marrying rich sometimes sounds like a better option than continuing school.

10. When you consider that you're basically committing to go to school FOREVER

We all want to be doctors/dentists/pharmacists/whatever which requires a lot of schooling and in most cases, a residency too... When you sit down and calculate how old you're going to be when you're finally done, it can be a bit depressing.

11. Getting excited over class material that's actually interesting

With all of the stress and misery that comes with being a pre-health student, it's really refreshing to actually come across material that you really enjoy and find interesting.

12. Having to stay in and study when all your friends are going out

All your friends are going out for Thirsty Thursday but you've got to stay in because you have an exam at 8 am the next morning.

13. Library hangs

You probably spend more consecutive time in the library than anywhere else on campus. It's a smart idea, but also kind of sad.

14. Preparing for entrance exams

Spending countless hours studying for your entrance exams because the better you do, the more likely you are to get into your desired program and any little cushion you can get will help tremendously.