14 Things All College Students Should Do After Finals
Life Stages

14 Things ALL College Students Should Do Before Officially Moving Out

Life just got easier for the stressed college student.

29

Spring semester of finals has to be the most stressful season any college student has ever faced. Yeah, fall semester finals is just as bad. However, spring finals definitely takes the cake. From studying for exams to MOVING all of your stuff out, things are bound to be stressful. Preparing for the summer is a bit of a pain-in-the-neck, but here are a few important things you should remember to make your life easier:

1. Return all of your rented books/sell the ones you purchased

This simple step is what many of us forget. When we buy textbooks, we sort of forget that we have them (since professors literally don't use them at all). When your first rent a textbook, set a reminder to return them 1-2 weeks before finals ends. This will give yourself time for the books to be shipped on time. Also, if you bought a textbook, DO NOT sell it back to your school. You will be pretty pissed if you buy a textbook for $60 and get $3 back. Instead, sell it to friends or a book company.

2. Clean out your dorm/apartment

Of course this one is obvious. It's simple. If you live in a dorm, make sure you remove everything from your desks, remove wires, wipe down counters, vacuum and PUT IN YOUR MAINTENANCE REQUESTS!! You will be fined if everything isn't in place. For those who live in apartments, check all cabinets and clean your stove, sink, remove garbage cans, clean the bathroom and discuss with your roommates who is taking home what. You may not want to take home the toaster or the mop, but you don't want to get fined either.

3. Throw away your notes (that you no longer need)

Yes, I'm shading all of my hoarders right now. If you are a 3rd-year Business student with saved notes from Freshman year and you never looked at them, you most likely will not need it. If you find yourself frequently looking at notes, then keep it. If it helps, give your notes to a friend who might be taking that class next semester. Also, make a Quizlet and put your notes on there.

4. Complete your professor evaluations

Your professors try hard to make sure you do well. The least you could do is leave them positive reviews. It takes 5 minutes of your time. If you don't like their teaching, just drag them. But it's important to leave feedback for the teacher to improve. No, this isn't like ratemyprofessor.com, but I'll save that one for the next point.

5. Go on Ratemyprofessor.com and start leaving some reviews

Now THIS is for the STUDENTS! For those who don't know, ratemyprofessor.com is a website where students rate professors and their classes. The reviews are usually really good or really bad. This will help students who are figuring out which professor to take for the next semester. This helps me with 90% of my decision-making. Some professors may have a high rating but actually suck in real life and some may surprise you with being a great teacher. If anything, please help other students out. We're all trying to pass here!

6. Backup your computer files

If you have important research papers and files that may help with your future classes, it's important to save them!

7. Delete unnecessary computer files that may be clutter

If you KNOW you'll never look at them again, just delete it. If you have a hard time letting go, then have a friend help you. Unless you want to buy more storage...

8. Wash your sheets

PLEASE WASH THEM! If you are gone for the summer, just do it. You probably haven't done this since January anyway.

9. If you have leftover food, throw out any spoiled items or start packing your dry goods away to take home

What I did was that I packed away all of my dry foods (i.e. pasta, seasonings, chips, rice) and placed them in a bag to take home for my mom to use. I then waited until the day before to pack away leftover cooked food, lemon juice, fruit cups, etc. For my non-durable goods, I either ate them or threw my expired goods out. I just gave my mom a 10lb bag of pancake mix that I clearly couldn't finish for the year.

10. Work on updating your resume

If you were working at a job/internship that ended, make sure you update it. Also, if you received your final grades, make sure you update your GPA. Make sure everything is up to date.

11. Start applying for summer jobs/internships

Make sure you apply and have an updated resume so you won't be sitting on the couch all summer long. If it's too late, then apply for an internship/job in the fall. Remember, this is the reason why you're in college.

12. Build your work portfolio

If you have projects that can be used in your portfolio, be sure to add them. For my major, I used press releases and newsletters that can serve as demos or writing pieces for employers. This can apply for other majors as well. It's always good to show your work because actions speak louder than words.

13. Look at your classes for next semester and make sure you remember

I'm sure the last thing you want to think about is the next semester, but it's good to know what you're getting in to and you can possibly buy your supplies early to prepare.

14. Jump on your bed in relief and celebrate the fact that you are done with the semester

IT'S OFFICIAL! YOU ARE FINISHED WITH ANOTHER SEMESTER OF COLLEGE! Go crazy or just relax with some Netflix. The summer is yours to enjoy but choose wisely.