14 Signs You Grew Up In A Small Town

14 Signs You Grew Up In A Small Town

"Bring Your Tractor to School Day" isn't entirely unheard of.

19
14 Signs You Grew Up In A Small Town
www.risingsunmd.org

Growing up in a small town can be both a curse and a blessing. Sometimes it feels like you’re too sheltered for your own good, but it’s nice to have something comforting to come home to after being away at college.

1. Everyone knows everyone. Everyone in your class has been in school together since kindergarten, and even most of your parents grew up together.
  2. Which means everyone knows everyone’s business. You’ve probably heard just about everyone in your high school’s life stories just by walking through the hallways.
  3. When you got to college, no one had ever heard of your home town. Literally, no one. If anyone asks, you name the closest city.
  4. You couldn’t go out in public without running into someone you knew. There’s no way you’re going to the grocery store without seeing a handful of familiar faces.
  5. The only traffic jams are caused by tractors…
  6. … Especially if you have “Bring Your Tractor to School Day.” I wish I was kidding.
  7. You know everyone you graduated with. If you saw the face of anyone in your graduating class, you could immediately say their name and something you know about them.
  8. The local gas station is where everyone would hang out before and after school. If you didn't hang out in front of Alger's before first period, did you even go to Rising Sun?
  9. Sports are taken very seriously. Especially the rivalries. If you’re not going all out to show your school spirit at a game, it’s not even worth going to.
  10. No matter what time of year it is, you can’t go anywhere without seeing someone wearing camo and jean shorts. There could be a foot of snow on the ground and you’ll still see people like that.
  11. It’s easy to get bored, because the only fun thing your town has to offer is McDonald’s. Unless you’re in middle school, where you actually look forward to walking to McDonald’s after school.
  12. The town is only a two-minute drive through. Getting our second stop light was a pretty big deal.
  13. It’s a huge deal when a new restaurant opens. It’s all you’ll hear about for weeks.
  14. You complain a lot, but you wouldn’t change anything about it. At the end of the day, it’s nice to have something routine and familiar to call home.