14 Struggles All College Students Go Through During Their Semester Internship

"You're so lucky you don't have to take classes!"

135

Almost every senior at Endicott College can relate to these struggles as they spend a semester in the real world. You really do not what it is like to work full time until you enter the work-force.

1. "You're so lucky you don't have to take classes!"

First of all, this is a 12 credit course, I am graded on my performance and I still have to sit in a classroom once a week to talk about my job. Second of all, I have Thesis and I am catching up on classes I withdrew when life got in the way. So no, it's not easier for me.

2. You feel disconnected from campus

At this point, I'm only on campus to shower and sleep. I feel like I'm not truly living on campus anymore, I just have a heated and air-conditioned unit to crash in.

3. You during the whole weekend

Forget parties or really anything fun. Sleep is the only thing that excites you.

4. "All you talk about is internship!"

Whether or not you like your internship, working full time will consume your life, just like being a full-time college student.

5. Getting out of your work clothes as soon as you get home

It's like high school all over again. I went to a high school with a strict dress code, and now I work at another high school with a dress code as well. I would immediately jump into a pair of sweatpants the second I would get home, and that's exactly what happens now once I enter my dorm room.

6. Telling yourself you'll be healthy and cook dinner when you get home, but you end up either getting takeout or eat at the campus dining hall. Every night.

You're tired at the end of the day, and cooking requires energy.

7. Waking up early when you've been used to having no 8 am classes in the past.

The drastic change in your sleep schedule will catch up to you.

8. The commute!!!

Thankfully my internship is right next door to campus, but I've had internships in the past where I've sat in traffic for an hour and a half every morning. It's exhausting, and then you have to drive home another hour and a half. I would leave the house early in the morning, and won't be home until late at night.

9. Crying. Lots of crying.

Again whether or not you like your internship, you will get stressed out either way. You are on your toes all day long and don't get enough sleep. And you're not used to that as a college student, doing something your body is not used to is hard.

10. Keeping up with forms, and other assignments.

Remembering to fill in time sheets, writing your weekly journal entry for the seminar class.

11. Laundry becomes a higher priority

Because you can't get away with your least favorite pair of jeans and a sweatshirt.

12. Signing up for next semester's classes, and having the anxiety of adjusting to having just classes again.

You forgot what it's like just to go to class, only throw on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt when you wake up. But instead of one or two classes squeezed into your full-time job, you're back to being a full-time student and maybe have a part-time job. Everything is about to become reversed.

13. Realizing that finals week is coming, and you have to say goodbye to the staff and kids you've been working with for the past 4 months.

You see the same people every day, and all of a sudden you won't, and it's just starting to hit you.

14. The pressure to finish all of your projects before finals come gets higher.

Even though you're not studying for finals, but it is the same as working on final projects. You're writing a reflection paper on your whole experience, finishing up reports on the case studies you've worked on, and putting together a presentation of the data you've collected.

But at the end of the day, you're getting more experience, and you now have something to add to your resume. You'll have more fun jobs to choose from with all of the part-time jobs, and internships you've had in the past.