14 Reasons Why Eloping Was My Best Decision Yet

Weddings are fun, but simple and sweet is even better.

9516
Emily Richeson

As a little girl, you always dream about your wedding day. The big beautiful white dress, flowers everywhere and your huge reception celebrating you and your new Prince Charming. For some, this dream actually becomes a reality. I've seen my friends I grew up with become the most beautiful brides, and I am so happy they lived out their little girl dream of having a wedding ceremony.

My fairytale is a little different. I fell in love with a guy that made the simple things in life mean everything. My proposal was simple, intimate, and completely real. I wanted my wedding and marriage to mirror my proposal and relationship with Tyler. We could've planned a wedding and stressed every little detail, spent thousands of thousands of dollars, and been completely exhausted when it finally came around, and we would still be just as married as we are now.

Allow me to give you a personal insight on why why eloping is a very doable option because it was for me.

1. You don't have the stress of including everyone.

If I had to have a bridal party, there would probably be thirteen bridesmaids. I would feel awful for leaving someone out, but I would have that many I know for fact. With that, my husband would be forced to have 13 groomsmen, yeah no.

2. The price of the dress: $$$

My "wedding dress" cost $9. I found it at Plato's Closet and thought it was the cutest thing. You can still have you're finding your dress moment without spending a year's worth of car payments on it.

3. You don't have to pay for a venue.

The average venue (minus your church) is easily the largest portion of your budget. Eloping can be done in your kitchen if you want. Mine was at the courthouse and our entire "wedding" rang in a grand total of $87.

4. Small town problems.

If you're from a small town like me, you know everyone. To invite everyone and have nobody feeling left out, you'd have a guest list of over 200 people. Just because they're on your Instagram and Facebook, doesn't mean they need to be at your big day!

5. The wedding party paying for their share.

Your childhood best friend has been there through thick and thin. She's the reason you're even engaged, but she's got bills of her own that popped up unexpectedly and she cannot afford the wedding you dreamed of. A $200 maid of honor dress, her share of the bachelorette weekend, helping host your shower/bachelorette, and the pressure of making sure your day runs smoothly? Sounds like superwoman to me.

6. What if you move?

Along with the regular expenses for the bridal party, your guests may have to travel for your ceremony. That is gas, hotel, and food expenses. Also if you have elderly people invited, traveling can be a big hassle for them.

7. Big fam = big problems

If you're like my husband and me, we both have step parents. How do you include both parents and step parents smoothly? Would the bride have two father daughter dances? Or would one walk her down the aisle and the other dance? It's practically an argument waiting to happen.

8. Minimal details cost the most.

When you dream of your big dress, beautiful venue, and first dance, you don't think of small things that add up. The price of stamps for the "save the dates" and invitations, booking a florist, photographer, paying a hair and makeup artist, etc. It all adds up, and with or without all that, you can still be married.

9. The "What-ifs."

You booked your venue because that river behind the trees was to die for. Though rain on your wedding day is good luck, are you sure the rain still made the spending an arm and a leg on the venue worth it?

10. The intimacy is everything.

When you're in front of your forever person holding hands and reciting vows, at that moment, all the flowers, the decorations, dresses, and suits will not matter. Nothing matters but the one you're locking eyes with. Why not have that but with more than half the budget saved, and maybe your parents and a friend?

11. The reception isn't even for you.

People will come up to you for pictures, hugs, and congratulations, to dance and so much more. You most likely will not get time to eat much less sit. By the time you and your spouse leave, you'll be worn out and married.

12. People judge your wedding.

I don't care who they are or how close y'all are, they are judging your wedding and reception. If you use fake flowers, someone will think that's "cheap." If you use cupcakes instead of a wedding cake, someone will think that's not "classy." Your wedding ceremony and reception is basically an event to impress people while you become the husband or bride of your significant others.

13. Open bar? Open a new credit card.

If you don't have an open bar, you're lame. If you have an open bar, you probably had to take out a loan at the bank. When things like open bars, dessert tables, and wedding favors are provided, that alone is a huge budget and it's for THEM, not YOU.

14. You're just getting started.

Some people get married at middle age or older, but in current society it's more popular to get married in your twenties or early thirties. Because of this, you're probably just getting started in life. All this money and time could've been saved or spent on things that will have more to show than just pictures. Seriously, other than pictures and your dress in your closet, you'll have nothing else to show for this day.

My "wedding" was a courthouse in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. There was my groom and I, our officiate and two witnesses. Our "newlywed dinner/reception" was at the Wendy's down the road. That was it. I wouldn't change it for the world. I have the sweetest and most selfless husband and just like our relationship, our "wedding" was low key, simple, and real.

A wedding is a one-day event, a marriage is a lifetime together, no matter how you do it or how much you spend on it. Make memories, have fun, and I wish you all the happiness life has to offer.