14 Lessons In 14 Years Of Schooling

14 Lessons In 14 Years Of Schooling

The real-life skills I have learned in school: it's more than knowing the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

159
14 Lessons In 14 Years Of Schooling
Danni Messina

Outside of the many things I have learned (or not learned) in school, these are a couple lessons that I have found to be helpful throughout my life, starting all the way back in kindergarten.

Kindergarten: The first step out of the gate.

This may just be the first encounter with all new people, all new friends to be made, and new teachers to listen to. I believe, at any stage of your life, you can miss your mom. Kindergarten was the first place I missed my mom. And it was fine, and I did want to go home at times, but I was learning, and creating new relationships because it was kindergarten.

First grade: Time to make your friends.

In kindergarten, it was fine, you talked to everyone. You got to see the world at a glance. This is the time you start creating relationships. These relationships might not last your whole life, but this is the foundation to start making bonds. These skills will last you throughout your whole life.

Second grade: Be playful.

You have made some friends, even though everything is still transitioning around you, but you are stopped and are reminded to play a little. These times are fun, and you get to be in the moment with your best pals, maybe playing in the sandbox. With no real responsibility and chores or work to worry about, you have all the time in the world to explore and play.

Third grade: Take in every part of life.

Take in the butterflies that you see flying in the summer, or the snow you can play in on a cold day in the winter. These are the days we live for. These are the times that we get to take a break from school, from work or whatever you have going on and you can relax and enjoy every part of your life. The stressful times, the family dinners, the snow that is falling, or the sun that is setting.

Fourth grade: Gaining respect for others.

You have formed the relationships and you are old enough to know about respect. Respect your mother. Respect your teachers. Respect your coaches. This is one of the most important skills that I have learned. With respect, the little things you do for others will have that much more power, and you will gain trust from others and authority figures.

Fifth grade: Time to take on responsibility.

This is the last year in grade school before middle school happens! It’s time to take on new responsibilities to prepare you for life. Whether this is adding on chores to your daily routine or taking the dog out for a walk, it is good to have these life skills under your belt.

Sixth grade: We are movin' up in the world!

Time to stay yourself. With a whole new school with all new people you are not used to, new friendships are forming, and there can be times that you will stray away from who you truly are. Which is fine. And that’s what happens. But if you stick to your values and find the right friends to stick with, they will be the ones who show your true colors and will shape you to who you want to be.

Seventh grade: Things are starting to get hard.

This is where you might realize that it’s okay to struggle with things. It’s okay to not be the first one to get everything or to understand everything you are learning in class. Ask for help. Asking for help can be scary but it is one of the best things someone can do for oneself. With the courage to ask for help, that skill can go a long way throughout your life.

Eighth grade: Time to start making memories.

This is the last year you could be seeing some of these middle school friends, or you could go to high school and see all new people. None the less, this is the time to start the mental process of remembering the fun times, the hard times, and the best times that you never want to leave you.

Freshman year: Get involved!

There are so many opportunities in high school that could be yours! Take advantage of the sports, the clubs, and staff and blossom completely. Sign up for drama club, the soccer team, and mathletics, and more! This is your time to shine!

Sophomore year: Classes are going to be heard, once again.

Asking for help, not being afraid of struggling because you can handle it, and talking to teachers will be your best weapons. This is the time not to hide, but to share what is happening in your school life, and enjoy it!

Junior year: Enjoy this feeling of being an upperclassman.

This will only happen for one more year. Be careful of having too much fun and find the balance between school and work—ask your teachers for help if you are feeling overwhelmed.

Senior year: The common question will always come up, “So where are you going to school? Or, what do you want to do when you grow up?”

This being said, you don’t have to answer either of these questions. This being said, however, you do not need to know what you want to do when you are going to college. Some people don’t even know what they are doing right now! It’s fine. Take your time, relax, and enjoy the second semester of senior year.

Freshman: Freshman year, again?

Unfortunately, you have to go through being a freshman twice. Saying this, you will learn a lot in this first year. You will learn that mom will not be there when you are sick, you will have to talk to your roommate and maybe balance a job. But with this being said, call your mom. Call her and tell her you love her.

Sophomore: What have I learned this year?

Well, a few things. Most importantly though, is that you are going to make the best friends you have very had in college. These are the people you will bond with forever, you will have as bridesmaids, and talk on the phone with when you are 80 years-old. I already have memories stored in my head of the times that we have stayed up until 2:00 watching movies and laughing, and going out to breakfast late on a Sunday morning after a fun weekend. It's these little things that are adding up to make these friends so present in my life.

It’s as simple as that. There are so many things I have learned from my 14 years of schooling, and you can see that it is so much more than just going to school. My best friends have formed in school, and sometimes you need to go back to the sandbox and play a little, because times will get hard, classes will progress, you will take on more responsibility and there are going to be a lot of bumps along the road, but it is because of these skills and lessons that I have learned, these are the reasons why I am happy with where I am today.