14 Apps That Will Slowly Kill Your GPA

14 Apps That Will Slowly Kill Your GPA

Use these apps wisely, as your education is more important!

48
14 Apps That Will Slowly Kill Your GPA

Once upon a time, cellular devices were used solely to make and receive phone calls.

With the advancements in technology, cell phones are used for so much more than to call your parents to ask if you can spend the night at your best friend's house. Smartphones have introduced us to applications we can download to use on the go. There is a fine line between whether or not you're using these apps too much and it starts to have an adverse effect academically or even professionally.

Below are a few of the many apps that can have an adverse impact on your grade point average.

1. Facebook.

Disabling any and all Facebook notifications have proven rather beneficial to decreasing the amount of time I spend scrolling through my news feed. I found the notifications to be both annoying and distracting I may have my days where I may sift through my newsfeed more than I would like to, but part of it is the annoying default setting of the "most popular" posts appearing first in one's newsfeed. I cannot be the only person who wants to see posts in chronological order right?

2. Instagram.

Also known as Twitter for those who cannot read, Instagram is one of many apps where you can display pictures, whether it be of your cat or your favorite life quote. Like Facebook, Instagram has some algorithm that will list posts that are considered more attractive toward the beginning of your newsfeed.

3. Twitter.

I spend less time on Twitter than Instagram and Facebook. The only tweets on my page are the links to my weekly Odyssey articles. I will not bash on anyone who tweets on their pages on a widespread basis. However, I find the app almost pointless. On the other extreme, some people post several tweets a day, even every hour. People like that make me wonder whether they have time to do anything else instead of tweeting and retweeting.

4. Messages

More often than not, I will usually receive texts when I am either busy with schoolwork, at work, or in the middle of playing a video game. I try not to use my phone while I am working on assignments. However, if someone sends me an iMessage, I will receive that notification on my MacBook as well, making it harder to ignore it and not let it distract me.

5. Snapchat.

I barely use Snapchat because I fail to see the hype surrounding it. So it is another app to take pictures with various filters and send them to others. I have lost count of the amount of Snapchat videos my one friend has sent me. I can say with a high certainty that I get their snaps on a daily basis. Once in a while, I may send a snap or two, but otherwise, I cannot be bothered.

6. Pinterest.

If you need to find a site with some awesome DIY projects, Pinterest is the number one go-to website. From interior decorating ideas to water infusion recipes, Pinterest will likely have a useful visual resource for you. It can be effortless to let minutes and even hours pass by while you are pinning all of the recipes and quotes on your boards.

7. Amazon.

Not only can using Amazon hurt your grade point average, but it can also hurt your wallet. Most college students, myself included, fit the stereotype that they do not have much money. While having that awesome discount on Amazon Prime is great, and anything you order, including textbook rentals, will be at your doorstep within two business days, it does not mean we should buy every little thing we see. Amazon has listings for random items you may or may not have known existed.

8. Mail

I am not a huge fan of emails. Despite the convenience factor of emails versus phone calls and physical delivered to your mailbox or PO box, emails can easily take up a significant amount of time to sift through. Most of us have at least one email address aside from our school email address. Instead of reading the hundreds of emails in my inboxes, I tend to take an easier way out by selecting every message in my inboxes and marking them as being read.

9. Music.

Depending on what mood you may be in when you are trying to work on your final project, you may find yourself in the mood to listen to a particular song, or you change the songs several times until you find one that you can stick with. Certain types of music such as dance and electronic can make focusing a challenge. Apple Music and Spotify both have playlists for moods, decades, driving and focus, to name a few. Everybody learns and studies differently, and a song that may help one person focus will not help another person do the same.

10. YouTube.

YouTube is one of my favorite applications ever. You can locate at least one video for virtually anything. I watch YouTube videos to follow certain people and to look up a guide to a video game I having trouble playing.

11. Netflix.

Of course, I would rather be binge watching NCIS or Madam Secretary again rather than do my school work. Watching just one episode can quickly turn into watching an entire season. Do not even try to have Netflix on while doing your assignments, as your attention can end up entirely on whatever you are watching.

12. Tinder.

Dating sites and applications connect those seeking a committed relationship as well as those searching for something more casual. Do not let trying to find "the one" deter you from focusing on the more important thigs, such as your education.

13. Pokemon Go.

For those who would rather swipe up then swipe left, there is the new Pokemon Go mobile game. While the overall amount of users of the game have decreased, it is far from becoming "a thing of the past." I still once in a while will play the game, visit Pokestops and catch a few more Pokemon. I do know some people who still use Pokemon Go frequently. While it can be more fun to walk around and catch Pokemon, that will not get your math homework done.

14. Google.

Whether it is to search for a cover image for your next Odyssey article or to locate vital information for that research paper that is due, Google is a powerful tool to have on our side, provided that we utilize it efficiently. If you need to find a source for a term paper that is considered to be scholarly, typing scholar.google.com instead of google.com will take you to a Google search engine crafted to return academic results you will be able to use for your paper or powerpoint.

One simple way to limit the time you spend on the applications that distract you the most is to disable notifications either in your phone's settings menu or in the application itself. Try to have your phone set on silent or do not disturb mode to limit outside distractions.