13 Ways To Be In Control of Your Happiness

1516

It’s easy to forget to do small, yet meaningful things for yourself and others. Here are a few tips to achieve greater happiness; try to work on a couple each week!

1. Watch documentaries.
Instead of dramas or reality TV every once in a while to learn something about the world. (I recommend The Blue Planet, Life in a Day, and Bill Cunningham New York. They’re all on Netflix!)

2. Don't look at or post pictures until later.
Live in the moment to make memories strong enough to last. 

3. Take time.
Each night, reflect on what made you happy that day. Ask yourself what the best thing you did was. (This practice is even more rewarding when you share it with friends because they can share in your favorite moments from the day.)

4. Accept others as they are.
We’ve heard this many times before but it’s a great reminder. Remember that at any given moment, you're seeing people evolving on their journey to being themselves. Be kind to each other!

5. Look for something new to experience each day.
Take a new exercise class, wear your hair in a different way, go to an event on campus, or do something as small as finding a new place to study.

6. Be grateful for the little things people do for you and take the time to return favors.
Reciprocity always goes a long way.

7. Create something.
Find inspiration from Pinterest, and craft something you’ve wanted to make, spend time doodling or take some photographs.

8. Listen to music.
Don’t underestimate the influence music has on your mood. It’s hard to feel pessimistic when listening to good songs.

9. Say yes to things you are hesitant about:
A date, a concert, a new food.

10. Write letters to friends and family.
It doesn’t take a lot of time, it shows that you care, and it’s exciting to receive them.

11. Have a thirst for knowledge.
Take a class that might be challenging but that you will undoubtedly learn something fascinating from. Try a philosophy class to learn about yourself and different viewpoints concerning the world.

12. Seek out positive people. 
Your friends’ outlooks on life affect your own, so surround yourself with people who can find something positive in a seemingly bad situation and are dedicated to looking for the good in others.

13. Call your parents, siblings, and loved ones to check up on them every once in a while.
People like to be reminded that they are cared about. Show, don't tell. Remember to tell them you love them before you hang up!