13 Things You Can Do To Reduce Stress
Education

13 Things You Can Do To Relieve Stress

Spring time is a stressful time of the year for everyone, let's relax

1012

As the school year is wrapping up, due dates are sneaking up on us and finals are right around the corner. Although spring time seems to effect everyone almost equally when it comes to stress. It is important to stay relaxed and level-headed in stressful times if you want to keep your sanity. Sometimes it is hard to relax so I have created a list of things you can do to go from freaking out to chilling out.

Breathe

Every time I stress out and begin to panic, I control my breathing. Breathe in for 8 seconds, hold it for 8 seconds, and breathe out. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. This helps to slow your heart rate and get you centered and focused before diving into the task at hand.

Pet some animals

It is scientifically proven that petting animals can reduce stress, and it works for me. Petting, holding, and hugging cats and dogs can work wonders for stress levels.

Listen to music

Any genre of music can relive stress, it just depends on what is preferred. You can dance your stress away or jam out to your favorite songs or just put on some relaxing background noise. There is also a song called "Weightless" by Marconi Union that many people have recommended to listen to as it is calming and reduces stress and anxiety.

Exercise or go for a walk

Walk that stress off. Using some of your energy towards exercising leaves you more relaxed than you were before. This can also give you time to think about your stressors and help you feel less worried about them, which will give you a clear mind and motivation to take care of them.

Meditate

There are many ways to meditate. Meditating helps clear your mind and a clear mind will help keep you focused.

Talk yourself through it

Talk yourself though everything that is stressing you out. Make a game plan to finish the tasks at hand.

Take a nap

People almost always feel better after a nap, especially if they need it. Being well rested can help you stay focused and get the job done.

Treat yourself

Buy something you have always wanted, get a large instead of a medium, anything! You have been working hard and deserve something nice, so reward yourself for all of your work so far.

Practice self care

Have a spa day, get your nails done, anything! People will sometimes neglect themselves if they get too stressed out so take a day for self care; it might make you feel better.

Do not do unnecessary work

Do not take on extra work if you will not be able to handle it. Finish assignments before starting or taking on new ones. Hard work and unnecessary work are completely different.

Stay motivated

Staying motivated can be hard. Find something to look forward to once the stressor is relieved and use that as motivation.

Point out your 5 senses

If you find yourself engulfed in stress, thinking about every stressor that is effecting you in the moment, try stating what you see, hear, smell, taste, and feel. This is an effective form of mindfulness to aid in being present and aware of surroundings.

Take a break

Stepping back for a couple of minutes will help your mind regroup and give you a second wind. Taking breaks is important when working hard. It gives you a couple of minutes to relax before getting back to it.

Stay calm and take care of yourself. You can get through this!