13 Music Festival Tips You Can't Go Without

They may seem like no brainers, but I wish I would've known them!

16
Arizona.edu

Music festivals may seem like all fun and games and for the majority of the time, they are. But there are some things that everyone attending one should definitely know before going in head first.

Here are some tips that I have learned throughout my music festival experience:

1. Make sure to wear plenty of sunscreen

This may seem like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised at the number of peoples who had skin as red as a tomato by the end of the first day. Make sure to apply generously at least at the beginning of each day.

2. Car camping means sleeping in a tent next to your car

I talk from personal experience when I say sleeping in a tent is the way to go. Sleeping in your car instead of on the ground might seem like a good idea at the time, but trust me it's not.

3. Enjoy all the different food, but know what crosses the dietary line

Festivals make sure to have many elaborate and delicious options to choose from and as a festival goer, you should take advantage. However, maybe pulled pork on top of fries and mac and cheese is not the right decision for you or your stomach.

4. Comfort is more important than the Instagram photo

Chances are it's going to be hot and you're going to get sweaty. As important as it may seem to get the perfect Instagram picture, it is more important to wear clothes that feel comfortable for the 8-12 hour days you'll be spending in the outdoors. A choker never hurts though.

5. Water refill stations become your best friend

It is so incredibly important to stay hydrated. As annoying as it may sound to hear from your mom repeatedly, not drinking enough water could cause dizziness or fainting which will really put a damper on everyone's fun time.

6. Toilet paper and soap will have never seemed so crucial

The thing about a music festival that takes place outdoors is that there isn't any indoor plumbing. It may be a smart idea to bring a roll of toilet paper with you and to keep hand sanitizer handy at all times.

7. If camping, showers may cost money and it IS worth it

I was shocked when I had to pay real money for a shower. But a certain point comes in the weekend when it cannot be held off any longer. The money is definitely worth the cleanliness.

8. If you decide to drink, drink so that it's still fun

It may be tempting to see how many beers you can drink in one day with the endless amounts of alcohol being sold at every counter, but you paid a lot of money for this festival. Drink responsibly so that you'll be able to remember it in the best light.

9. If in the desert, bandanas are not worn for the aesthetic

Something I did not know is that bandanas are actually worn around people's faces to keep all the dirt and sand out of a person's airways. I had always thought It was for fashion purposes, but it is actually so you don't develop a horrid cough. So if going to a festival like Coachella or Stagecoach a bandana is a must. Pro Tip: wet the bandana to capture the dirt/sand.

10. Try not to document so many moments that you forget to live in the moment

I am a big proponent of recording certain parts of concerts and posting them on Snapchat. But I hope you don't find yourself watching the show through a screen for the entirety of the concert.

11. Budgeting may come in handy

Food, drinks, merch, rides, and the list goes on. You might want to do everything and you might be able to. But budgeting certain amounts of money for each day can also really help ensure that you don't overspend if you're trying to stick to a certain dollar amount for the weekend.

12. Use it as an opportunity to experience all different types of music

I can honestly say that some of my favorite festival acts have been people I have never heard of. If no one you know is playing go to a random stage and listen to a few songs of a new singer-songwriter, rapper or band that you've never heard of.

13. Live your best life

Music festivals are a time to be whoever you want to be surrounded by people who are all there for the same reason you are. Let loose, go with the flow, and have fun!