13 Things You See When You Work In A Thrift Store

An insider's comprehensive guide to what to buy and what to avoid

1131
www.lovemarks.com

Thank you to the hipsters of the world. You're recent embrace of thrift shopping made my summer employment possible.

Even before I worked in one of the stores I was a big believer in thrift shopping, and do so whenever I get the chance. There is nothing weird about thrift shopping. That being said, when you spend 40 hours every week in one, you do see some interesting things. Here are just a few:

1. Hipsters

I had to mention these guys again already because they're just so prevalent at thrift stores. As hipsters have gained surprising influence in deciding today's fashion trends, Macklemore said it best, they're all "looking for a come-up."

2. Outfits straight out of the 70s

Literally, these clothes have not been worn since the 70s. I guarantee you they were donated by a middle aged woman helping her mother or father clean out their attic. Please, do not buy them. They are not trendy.

3. Dresses... that appear to be made out of floral curtains

You know the ones. You never try them on, but if you were to they would hang on you like a sack and flatter you about as well. Although, with florals so in style recently, if you know how to sew you can really turn these dresses around.

4. Brand new name brand shirts sold for under $5

While many things sold in thrift stores just aren't fashionable or would need a lot of work to make them fashionable, there are just as many items that are great finds right off the rack. One time at work I sold a jacket with it's original $100 price tag on it for $5. No one can disagree that that is a great deal.

5. Regulars

As weird as it sounds, there are actually regulars at thrift stores. Most often, they own antique shops or some other kind of second hand business and know what people want or what has value. So they come once or twice a week and buy things for cheap at a thrift store then sell them for profit at their higher end place.

6. Moms hunting a bargain on clothes and toys for their kids

These moms are probably the other most common kind of regular. They love to brag to us cashiers about how much money they're saving on clothes and toys, and, though it gets annoying pretty fast, they're right. Kids grow out of clothes and toys so quickly that it doesn't make sense to buy them all new when they so often end up at thrift stores hardly worn.

7. Great glassware and china

Dishes and glasses are definitely among the best deals at thrift stores. Often they're only a quarter a piece, and whole sets do often end up at thrift stores. At that rate, you could get a full service of dishes for like, 10 bucks. And just like clothes, all you have to do before you can use them is wash them.

8. Broken glass

In addition to all those great, whole, dishes and glasses, you also come across the occasional broken one. This is a part of thrift shopping that you never really think about unless you work there. But the possibility of breakage is much greater at a thrift store, because everything isn't all packaged up nicely in a box. So, in addition to working register, I had to walk around and check for any broken glass.

9. Furniture priced between $5 and $20!

No joke. I got my roll top desk, which my quirky soul absolutely loves, at a thrift store for $20. 10/10 do recommend checking a thrift store for furniture.

10. Records

Just like outdated fashion trends, old technology thrives at thrift stores. But if you own a record player, and are looking for good music, I don't recommend thrift stores. For some unknown reason, the majority of albums I ran across this summer were religious, or some offbeat Motown group.

11. Underwear

From boxers to bras, you can find it at a thrift store. And yes, just like everything else there, it's used. Weird. Weirder? I've seen people buy it.

12. Corduroy pants

Never has an article of clothing flip flopped in and out of style so often as corduroy pants do. That's why they so frequently end up in thrift stores. Just as I don't recommend buying underwear at thrift stores, I don't recommend buying these either. Who knows if they'll ever come back in style?

13. The best jeans you'll ever buy

Corduroy pants may not be in, but jeans always are. I don't know about you, but I'm lazy and hate breaking in my own jeans. That's why I only buy jeans from thrift stores. They're already worn in all the right places, and all I have to do is wash them before I can wear them comfortably. Plus, they cost $6 or less!

Happy thrifting!