I'm always looking for ways to keep the freshman fifteen off, but I was very hesitant to say the least when my best friend on campus begged me to go to Zumba with her. I'm a pretty reserved person (not to mention, little to no dancing experience here either), so the thought of shaking my butt in a room full of other people with windows where outsiders could look in didn't seem too appealing. Inevitably, my friend ended up convincing me to try it with her, as she does with most things. Little did we know, for the month following the initial class, I would be the one dragging her to Zumba multiple days a week. The experience has been nothing short of awkward, fun, and sometimes a little scandalous. Here are some things that happen at one point or another when you try Zumba with your friend:

1. You go to the first class and you have no idea what the heck is happening.

On so many levels, you really just don't know what's going on. Arguably the best part about Zumba is that you can't think about any of your problems because you have to be so focused on what you're doing. What are the instructor's feet doing? What are my feet doing? How do I make my feet do that? Let's not even get into arm and hip movements. Oh God I just looked in the mirror. Why on Earth did I just look in the mirror?

2. You don't understand why there's so much Latin music.

Eventually you learn the songs and start to have favorites, but it's pretty rough for a while.

3. Someone passes by and stares through the window a little too long and you panic.

Hide me.

4. Just when you think you know the dance, the instructor changes it up and for 1.5 seconds you stick out like a sore thumb.

5. The instructor does something sexual and you just look at your friend like, "Is this okay??"

6. After a couple of classes, you start to remember some of the songs and you feel like a pro, but you 100% aren't.

7. You embrace shaking your booty for the first time.

That glorious moment when your Zumba-alter-ego is released.

8. Your friend notices this and thus sparks one of the oddest compliments you've ever received.

Friendship level 10,000 unlocked.

9. When you hear a song playing in public, you start to have random urges to break out into some high kicks and you actually have to refrain from embarrassing yourself.

10. Treadmills suddenly become terribly boring.

11. You and your friend start freaking out together when your specialty song comes on.

12. You stop standing in the back and watch yourself in the mirror for the first time.

And for once, you don't disgust yourself.

13. You realize just how really flippin' fun it is.