13 Steps To Have The Best Yoga Session Of Your Life

Lie back and relax onto the mat. Listen to the music. Relax your muscles and feel yourself sink down into the floor.

38
Debra Didra

What's worse than having too little time to do yoga? Actually, having the time to do yoga, and the session is a complete disappointment.

Life is stressful, and yoga is a great way to alleviate some of those pain and worries at the end of the day or to start your day with a clear and refreshed mind.

So, here are 13 steps to make sure your next yoga session leaves you feeling as rejuvenated as it should.

1. Find a quiet space.

No, you can't just roll out the yoga mat anywhere and expect something magical to happen. I mean, you can, because the mat is portable, but it isn't going to be as good as finding a quiet, peaceful place free of distractions. You don't want your environment buzzing with activity or you won't be able to focus on clearing your mind of all that, well...activity. And you know what's worse than a buzzing environment? An environment that was quiet, and then is interrupted by some outside force in the middle of your session. Remember, it's the unexpected that throws us off balance, both metaphorically and literally. So, find a quiet space that will remain quiet for the duration of your yoga session.

2. Put on some yoga music.

This is a must. I know, sometimes it sounds a little weird - we aren't really accustomed to hearing chimes in our songs. But that music really will help you get into the right frame of mind. Let the sounds of nature take you out of where you currently are physically, and into a place where your mind can truly relax.

3. Light some candles.

Or melt some wax. Or put in a Febreze plug-in for all I care. Just make sure the scent is something that's relaxing, like lavender, jasmine, or lemon. Your olfactory sense needs to be involved here, too. It'll help keep your mind calm. Plus, it's embarrassing to say, but we all know yoga makes our intestinal system do some funny things. Let's stay one step ahead of that and have the room smelling pretty.

4. Warm up a wet washcloth.

Or dry, if you're okay with that. A wet washcloth will hold in the heat longer. An easy way to do this is to plug in a heating pad, and then place a damp washcloth over top of it at the beginning of your session. By the end, it will be hot and ready for you to use. More on that later.

5. Put on some comfy clothes.

Don't wear anything that impedes your movement. No, you don't have to the crazy naked yoga trend. I mean, you are alone, so you can if you want - no judgment here. But if you aren't comfortable with that (which is totally understandable), just making sure you're wearing something that lets you move the way your body is supposed to, whether your limbs are ready to make that stretch or not.

6. Breathe.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. I cannot stress this enough. Focus on your breath throughout your session. Breathe slowly, breathe through the discomfort of your stretches, and focus on the breath to clear your mind of all other troubles.

7. Focus on the present moment.

Don't think about what led up to this moment, and don't worry about what comes after it. Those problems will be dealt with in their own time. The next few minutes is purely about you and your mat - nothing else.

8. Start with the sun salutation.

Or moon salutation if you're feeling adventurous. Don't automatically go to those tough yoga poses you've seen pictures of. Yes, they are fun, but only if you're warmed up. Otherwise, it's going to really hurt. So, do your body a favor and let it adjust to the idea of yoga before you try to become a guru on your first session. Don't know how to do a sun salutation? Just google it. It'll pop right up.

9. Do some moving asanas.

Yoga is a form of exercise, so let's challenge the body a little. It will thank you later. Try some warrior poses and other asanas that challenge your body and your mind. Always make sure to complete a pose on both sides before moving on to a new one. And continue the usual flow (plank to chaturanga to upward dog to downward dog) in between poses to keep that semblance of order yoga demands.

10. Try some balance postures.

If you want a balanced mind, you need a balanced body. Clear your mind, take a deep breath, and lift a leg into tree pose. Or, if you're feeling pretty confident, big toe pose. Feeling even more confident? Try crane (not on your first time, and put a pillow on the floor in front of you just in case you fall forward - your head will appreciate it). Give your body time to adjust to the balance postures. It will calm your rapidly-firing nerves.

11. Work your core.

Remember to hold your core taught throughout your yoga session. As a bonus, do some poses made strictly to work this area. Boat pose is a great place to start.

12. Do some relaxing poses at the end.

Yoga isn't just about sweating it out - you want to feel relaxed. So, do some seated stretches and make your body happy by reverting to poses it remembers from many years ago, like child's pose and happy baby. It'll help your body fall into its natural state.

13. End with corpse pose.

Here is where that damp washcloth comes in. Take your now very warm washcloth and drape it over your eyes. Lie back and relax onto the mat. Listen to the music. Relax your muscles and feel yourself sink down into the floor. Focus on your breath - in and out. Imagine yourself somewhere that makes you happy. Engage all of your senses: What do you see? Hear? Taste? Smell? Feel? Remain in this state for at least ten minutes.

And there you have it. 13 steps to making the most out of your yoga session. Make time for yourself today and try it out - you won't be sorry you did.