13 Songs For Your Mundane Monday

13 Songs For Your Mundane Monday

"What began on Monday morning"

696
13 Songs For Your Mundane Monday
M. Klasan

With the ever-hastening beginning to another school year, I figured a little playlist of music would do just the trick. And, after a long weekend of lasting memories and deep laughter, it can be difficult to start up the old brain for another week of work and tiresome nights. These few songs will either match the mood of a sleepy Monday morning or get the blood pumping for another week to come. Enjoy!

1. Monday Morning by Death Cab for Cutie

What better way to start the week than by a song entitled, well, "Monday Morning." Ben Gibbard sings of a girl who is enraptured by the beauty around her, but is downtrodden upon the beginnings of yet another (metaphorical) Monday morning. He sings, "And when you're lookin' in the mirror what you see is gon' astound you, but all these lines and greys refine, they are the maps of our design, of what began on a Monday morning."

2. Goodmorning by William Fitzsimmons (Pink Ganter Remix)

Perhaps one of the most beautiful, uplifting songs out there, "Goodmorning" will set a new spark upon anyone's anxious heart. Paired with Fitzsimmons' ever-hopeful lyrics, along with Pink Ganter's Remix, this makes for the perfect song for any sort of morning. Fitzsimmons reminds us, "Moonlight will fall, winter will end, harvest will come, your heart will mend."

3. Early Morning Riser by The Weepies

Adorable duo and husband and wife pair, The Weepies capture happy, shiny love, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. They sing, "Last time I checked, last thing I remember was your head on my pillow...early morning riser I love you so." The Weepies are sure to lift any sulking spirit.

4. Toothpaste Kisses by the Maccabees

Similar to The Weepies, The Maccabees sing of a morning loved one. They say, "So with toothpaste kisses and lines, I'll be yours and you'll be...." The little ukulele and sweet vocals make for a lovely morning tune.

(Bonus: The song contains whistling.)

5. Mondays by SALES

Appropriately named "Mondays," SALES smooth jam sound will be the perfect song to understand the sleepy vibe a Monday can bring. Their lyrics read, "You’ve gotta’ breathe in, cuz’ you’re overeducated, throw your notes out on the pavement." Feeling stressed and unready for another week of strenuous note-taking? These lyrics totally understand that.

6. The Brae by Yumi Zouma

With soft vocals and engaging sound, Yumi Zouma captures the pain that loving someone can bring, with words that say, "So wake me up from my deep dream, I was someone with a small heart." Their vibe-y aura across any of their songs are a soft way to wake up the morning.

7. Wide Eyes by Local Natives

Personal favorite, Local Natives, bring fast beats and thoughtful words in their upbeat song "Wide Eyes." This song speaks of the old saying, "seeing is believing." They place a new twist, singing, "All the men of faith, and men of science, have their questions...oh, to see it with my own eyes." Sometimes all humans ever want is clarity, and to have a firm foundation to believe in, despite curiosity.

8. Twin Rivers by Big Scary

While I was a bit hesitant to add this song because it has a more "negative vibe" to it, I felt it accurately captured the beginning stages of waking up. The lyrics accurately read, "Gonna have to wake up, I don’t wanna have to wake up, get up, get changed, game face." I recommend taking this song in with a grain of salt, as a reflection of how it feels to get back into that "daily grind."

9. Sleeping In by The Postal Service

Death Cab for Cutie's very own Ben Gibbard's side project, The Postal Service, tell the tale of a dreamland where everything makes sense (much like "Wide Eyes"). The lyrics explain, "Again last night I had that strange dream, where everything was exactly how it seemed...don't wake me I plan on sleeping." This seems to accurately depict how we all must feel from time to time, ready to roll over into our beds to avoid the world and its terribleness.

10. Chrysalis by S. Carey

This gorgeous song starts out with simple a piano, while swiftly cascading into a motion of sound. S. Carey sings with mystery and metaphor; "She can see the clouds approach for miles. She can see the forest from new eyes..wouldn't you hide it in the fog?" Perhaps this song captures something about newness and something about the beautiful unknown.

11. A Head Full Of Dreams by Coldplay

Always passionate and enthusiastic, Coldplay brings dreams to reality in their song "A Head Full Of Dreams," from their latest album." They sing of hope in disaster, saying, "Leave your broken windows open, and in the light just streams." This song is the perfect upbeat track to any dreary morning.

12. Monday by The Sea and Cake

Yet another appropriately named song, "Monday" by The Sea and Cake is best for slowly getting ready, as the sun pours in from the window. Their lyrics read, "Open door, I've never mined the complex too long, a picture of what comes tomorrow."

13. Every Day by Magic Man

And lastly, we have the "Every Day" by Magic Man. This song is sure to add even the smallest amount of brilliance to any anxious soul. This song speaks of longing for love, wanting someone so badly in your life, well, every day. These lyrics read, "I keep on dreaming, but I’m wide awake, just counting down the hours to the day."

I hope you enjoy this little list of songs and find yourself carefree and joyful with each new week.

You can listen to the full playlist here!