13 Skincare Tips For Ladies AND Gents

13 Skincare Tips For Ladies AND Gents

Here are some skincare tips and suggestions that guys can benefit from just as much as girls.

186
13 Skincare Tips For Ladies AND Gents
pixabay

Don’t you think that it seems like the importance of skincare is portrayed as primarily relevant to us ladies? If you watch a commercial for the best facial cleanser or the top moisturizer, it will likely be a beautiful actress who is splashing the water in slow motion or rubbing the lotion onto her freakishly-perfect face. But, in reality, doesn’t everyone want perfect skin…girls and guys alike?

These 13 skincare tips may or may not be things you already know, but they are gender-neutral and essential for keeping your skin lookin’ good.

1. Washing your face at morning AND night is critical.

Oil and dirt accumulate on your skin while you sleep as well as throughout your day. Make sure you regulate this accumulation by developing a morning and nightly skin regimen.

2. Do not scrub-a-dub-dub your face with a washcloth.

Even in the occasional commercial, you see someone washing their face with a cloth. Well, don’t. Washcloths are abrasive to the skin and can lead to more zits and overall skin irritation. Simply just use your hands whenever cleansing or moisturizing (although I can’t imagine anyone moisturizing with a washcloth in the first place?).

3. Not too hot, not too cold.

Hot water opens your pores. Cold water closes your pores. By using “tepid” or luke-warm water you will be able to best cleanse any dirt or oil accumulation since you last washed your face. If you read the directions on most cleansers, it even says in tiny print to “use tepid water”.

4. Moisturize well…especially before you hit the hay.

The importance of moisturizing cannot be stressed enough. Dehydrating your skin because you don’t like how moisturizing can potentially make you look shiny will only lead to your skin being more oily and shiny. Do your skin a favor and give it plenty of hydration to help it maintain its balance and avoid excessive oil production or dry patches.

5. I don’t want my moisturizer to have oil, right?

WRONG. This ties into tip number four. If your moisturizer is oil-free, then after “moisturizing” your skin still feels as though it needs to compensate for the lack of oil it currently has and produces oils of its own. Use a moisturizer WITH oil as one of its ingredients to help minimize the work your skin is having to do.

6. Face masks are heavenly--end of story.

Yes, face masks may be looked at as being feminine. But I don’t care whether you are male, female, undecided, etc., face masks simply make your skin feel good. Better yet, there are approximately a bazillion different types, so you can find the perfect mask for your skin and for what you are hoping to accomplish.

7. A dirty pillowcase = a dirty face.

So many people that I know wash their face, moisturize, and all of that jazz, but they still somehow end up with zits all along the sides of their face. Simple solution—replace your pillowcase at least once a week. Have two that you alternate while one is being washed. Oils from your hair are absorbed into your pillowcase and can lead to breakouts on your face. Therefore, you want to keep your pillow as clean as possible.

8. Cleansing and moisturizing with a shower is a must.

I suggest washing your face in the shower and then immediately moisturizing afterward. If your shower happens to occur at morning or at night, perfect! You already took care of your routine cleaning. But if you shower in the middle of the day, use the opportunity to get rid of oil and dirt you’ve already accumulated and make sure you don’t strip your skin of its moisture after doing so.

9. Rosewater just makes everything better.

Yes, I understand that this too might be considered feminine. Roses…spritzing your skin…I can imagine guys just saying “I’ll pass.” If you do, that’s fine. But really, rose water is amazing for the moisture content of your skin and smells so dang good. Don’t knock it till you try it.

10. Your fingers should ALMOST never touch your face.

Your fingers are gross. My fingers are gross. Fingers. Are. Gross. They touch the nastiest things day in and day out. Dirt and oil are legit throwing a party on each of your fingertips. Please spare yourself and don’t touch your face. Don’t pick at things on your face. By doing so, you are basically asking for a zit to come and make itself at home.

11. Use self-control and leave that zit alone.

If you do happen to touch your face and a zit decides to come hang out, leave him alone. Odds are, if you don’t falter from your normal skincare routine, the zit will eventually subside. By not popping or picking at the zit, you are preventing additional oil and dirt content from accumulating and are eliminating the potential for scarring in the event you butcher your face in an attempt to pop the zit. Been there, done that.

12. Blot, blot, and then blot some more.

If you are like me, it’ll be the middle of the day, I will happen to look in a mirror, and I will see a small oil spill on my forehead. First I will think, “Is this really what I’ve looked like all day?” And then I will proceed to simply blot my face with a piece of toilet paper or a paper towel. Get that zit-forming oil mess off my face, right?

13. You don’t have to listen to clean music but listen to music cleanly.

Lastly, I advise cleaning your headphones on a regular basis. More dirt than you are probably aware of collects on those bad boys. They touch your face and rub up against you every time that you use them, so it is best to make sure that they are clean as possible.