13 Signs Your Aesthetic Might Be "Cottagecore"

First of all, cottagecore goes beyond an aesthetic---it's a way of life or personality. You're probably still wondering what I mean by having a cottagecore aesthetic---or an aesthetic in general. An aesthetic has to do with projecting a certain lifestyle/mindset through physical means such as clothes, house decorations, and hobbies. The cottagecore aesthetic consists of the "romanticized interpretation of farm life."

I first encountered the term on TikTok. (Oh no, not another article about a TikTok trend!) If you are self-proclaimed to be "too mature" for the app, here's the cottagecore TikTok's I'm referring to.

So, if you've ever fantasized about living in a remote stone cottage and making artisan cheese from your goats, then you're likely part of the cottagecore movement. Aesthetics such as cottagecore have become popular on TikTok and Instagram as people try to set themselves apart from others. #Quirky. If these following points resonate with you, your aesthetic may be cottagecore.

1. You'd rather live in the country or a small town.

aerial photo of house near calm body of water aerial photo of house near calm body of water Photo by Sebastian Staines on Unsplash

People who dream of living in the countryside or a small artisan town fit the cottagecore aesthetic. Cottagecore is all about a simpler way of life.

2. You enjoy baking, crafts, and other artisan hobbies. 

wooden ladle and spatula on top of table wooden ladle and spatula on top of table Photo by Calum Lewis on Unsplash

Again, cottagecore is about simplicity, so if you love to bake, knit, or make pottery, you're already following the cottagecore way of being self-sustainable!

3. You love animals and nature. 

herd of cows Photo by Stijn te Strake on Unsplash

Like really love them. You love the quaint farm life so much you want to spend evenings on a porch gazing at a pasture of livestock. Or you just own more than one birdwatching guide.

4. Gardening is a way of life.  

woman smelling flower woman smelling flower Photo by Artem Beliaikin on Unsplash

You love growing your own food and/or having a yard full of colorful flowers. You can also identify a plant simply by its leaf shape.

5. You follow the "Happy Folk" playlist on Spotify.

man wearing hat playing guitar man wearing hat playing guitar Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Folk music and indie tunes are sometimes the closest thing you have to living out your charming countryside dream.

6. You collect journals like your life depends on it. 

Today I am Grateful book Today I am Grateful book Photo by Gabrielle Henderson on Unsplash

You love journaling. Perhaps you're into poetry or bullet journaling. Or maybe you're one of the few elite people who still scrapbooks.

7. Floral and flowing outfits are your go-to.

woman wearing white and pink floral long-sleeved shirt woman wearing white and pink floral long-sleeved shirt Photo by Hannah Skelly on Unsplash

If you love light/earth colored boho clothing, you're already rocking the cottagecore aesthetic. You probably shop at Free People or Earthbound Trading Co.

8. You know buying local is better. 

assorted bread in small cafe assorted bread store display Photo by Miti on Unsplash

You'd rather support the talent of someone in your area than buy your products from a mainstream company.

9. You think mason jars are the perfect touch for any home. 

clear glass mason jar hanging lamp turned on clear glass mason jar hanging lamp turned on Photo by Bonnie Kittle on Unsplash

If you use mason jars as home decor, you're probably somewhat of a hipster yearning for the cottagecore lifestyle. After all, mason jars make great table lights.

10. Beekeeping appeals to you. 

bees on honeycomb. brown and black bee on brown wooden stick Photo by Bianca Ackermann on Unsplash

Beekeeping isn't for everyone, but if you've enjoyed the idea of methodically caring for a hive of bees and collecting honey in your backyard, you're probably cottagecore.

11. Antique stores complete your look. 

vintage items on shelf items on shelf Photo by Mick Haupt on Unsplash

A good chunk of the cottagecore aesthetic is owning vintage items. What better place to give your home this look than the eclectic items found in antique stores.

12. Spring is your favorite season.

white daisy flower in bloom during daytime white daisy flower in bloom during daytime Photo by Jennifer Grismer on Unsplash

Spring is when the earth gets warmer and all the flowers you love (especially daisies) begin to bloom---a lively time of the year that matches your carefree spirit.

13. You think picnics need to make a come back. 

woman reading with girl while lying on orange and white floral picnic mat woman reading with girl while lying on orange and white floral picnic mat Photo by Liana Mikah on Unsplash

Picnics are a simple, yet finer part of your quaint lifestyle. Plus you need to make use of all those wicker baskets you own.

This is all in the spirit of fun, but I too have days of yearning to live in a cozy artisan town. And who doesn't love vintage clothes or fresh baked bread? If you also adore these vintage pastimes and romanticize the country life like me, then your aesthetic is probably cottagecore.

Maybe we're grandmas at heart, but regardless of what you call it, I'm going to enjoy my sunflower-print dresses and soft-leather journals.