13 Reasons Why We Don't Need A Second Season Of '13 Reasons Why'

Yes, I could think of 13.

71
Real Life STL

Netflix recently released a new series executively produced by Selena Gomez called 13 Reasons Why. If you live on planet earth, you've probably heard of it- and you either love it or hate it, there isn't much of an in-between. Like every other Netflix series, it is hard to not get sucked into the realms of addiction and end up binge-watching the entire show in one sitting. While I plead guilty to binge-watching, these are 13 reasons why I think a second season is unnecessary.

1. If it took clay that long to listen to 13 tapes, you already know this second season is gonna be long.

2. This is 2017. Cassette tapes? Really?

3. We need Reggie on Riverdale!

Rumor has it The CW's Riverdale is replacing actor Ross Butler so he can be there for the shooting of 13 Reasons Why, but we all know how awkward it is when a show tries to replace an actor without anyone noticing…

4. The fact that the audience wouldn’t understand the show without Clay getting cut on his forehead over and over is just a red-flag.

Poor Clay.

5. FML Forever? Come on.

6. GirlBoss deserves this other season.

Entertainment should be about inspiring in a positive way. An empowered woman who takes challenges to make her strong and successful sounds a bit more inspirational. Doesn’t it?

7. Now that the fate of the main character has been decided, where are they going with this?

It would be hard for fans to continue to watch the show without the one character it was based around. The audience develops a connection to Hannah in season 1, so it might be odd to watch the show without her. However, they might totally surprise us with this one so... TBD.

But on a more serious note…

8. It is no secret that the series covers a very sensitive topic.

In fact, the reason the show gained popularity and media coverage so quickly was mainly for the controversy it steered up. For the young audience that the show targets, it can be very traumatizing for young teens to watch, especially those who deal with a similar traditional high school setting.

9. The show loosely implies that bullying leads to suicide which is a very strong assumption to be put in the minds of teens across the entire world.

While bullying does play a large part in many teen suicides, it is not correct to assume the causation between bullying and suicide.

10. Relating to reason 9, the show makes it seem like life challenges are impossible to overcome.

While Hannah Baker did undergo absolute hell, the show went to the extreme worst case scenario and made it seem like that suicide is the answer. While I do agree the show may inspire bystanders to take action when they see something off, it also leads the victims to believe suicide is a feasible way to end the pain for good. Which we know, of course, is not true.

11. Many argue that the show can act as a trigger to those who have had similar thoughts in the past.

This reason is a bit controversial, so I’ll leave that for your interpretation.

12. With all the national and global issues we are dealing with today, we need more positivity portrayed in entertainment media.

I personally would prefer a happy ending to fall asleep to after a long day of listening to the news which is far from optimistic. While I believe it is paramount that we openly discuss teen depression and suicide, there are other ways to do it. If we want to spread positive connotations around overcoming depression, let's discuss success stories- not horror stories.

13. Mental health experts across the country claim the show glorifies suicide by not putting in fitting context Baker's misled rationalization.

Young girls and boys look up to tv-characters to be "cool" and often imitate them in style, attitude, and actions. While depression should most definitely be recognized and openly discussed in conversation, this is not the right approach. There are ways to cope with depression that do not result in the something so final. What kind of example are we trying to set for this generation's children?

If you or someone you know if suffering from depression or related issues, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or click the link for more information.