Throw Out Your Ignorant Misconceptions Before You Call '13 Reasons Why' Trash

Triggering? Gory? Hard to watch? Maybe, but it's some people's reality.

231

The second season of "13 Reasons Why" has taken over Netflix by storm. The advertisements everywhere leading up to the release were suspenseful and eye-catching.

When I heard about this show as season one was put on Netflix, I was interested to see what it was about, and I was not disappointed.

So, why are there so many people ripping on the last season and saying they won't watch the new one?

Many people see this show as "triggering," graphic or glorifying suicide. They argue that Hannah wanted revenge, the show isn't realistic, it gives depressed people new ideas on how to kill themselves, etc. Let me break this down for you.

I've dealt with anxiety and depression for countless years of my life.

Only recently did I get them both under control to the point where I can live a normal life. Trying to explain your feelings to someone who does not have a mental illness is near impossible. They. Don't. Get. It. When I watched this show, I thought, "Wow. Someone finally got it right."

Yes, it's graphic, but it's VERY realistic, raw and it deserves all the positive attention it can get.

Sometimes, I feel as though people do not see the horrible consequences of their actions. You have no idea what happens to the kid you bullied when he goes home at night. You don't know what goes through the head of the girl who you just called ugly and harass endlessly.

Instead of ripping on the show, why don't you ask someone who has dealt with these traumas what they think?

I've dealt with many of the same issues these kids face in '13 Reasons Why.' I absolutely think every teenager should watch this show to understand not only themselves and their feelings but also the consequences of their actions towards others. Maybe if people realized that words have a lasting, HARMFUL effect, they would choose them more carefully.

The graphic content is nothing compared to what people who have to face these difficulties actually go through.

If it "triggers" you, don't watch it. It doesn't "give depressed individuals ideas on how to commit suicide." Dealing with mental illness myself, I did not find this show triggering or too gory. I found it real. The first time I watched it, I truly wished I could send a link to everyone who had ever bullied me so they could understand what their actions cause.

This show was meant to be honest, real and simply that: a SHOW. It's based on a wonderful book that it follows almost to a tee.

Suicide, rape, self-harm and sexual assault are all real world issues. The creators of this show decided to showcase them instead of brushing them under the rug and pretending they don't exist like most people do.

I truly believe that if everyone watched this show and could put an image on these under-discussed topics, it would make a huge difference.