4 Things That "13 Reasons Why" Made Me Realize

Sometimes the most self-evident things go unnoticed.

575
Unsplash

If you haven't seen this Netflix original series well you should.

I know I'm behind and I'm sure the book is a great read. The first episode came out March 2017 and when it first came out there was a lot of talk about the series. People said it could affect students negatively and it was a bit too much. There was also talk about how the series truly mirrors a lot of what happens in high school.

Some background about this series. It's about this female character who completes suicide. She leaves behind a box of cassette tapes that holds 13 reasons as to why she took her own life and each cassette is for an individual at her high school some were friends and some were not.

After I watched the whole series it left me reflecting on how I carry myself and how I interact with others. Overall, the series made me realize many things. They seem very small and obvious, but in a busy life, we all live in we sometimes forget these things.

1. Asking "how are you?" can really hit the heart and make someone's day.

Nowadays, we live in a society where the fast life is the norm and we're busy with our laptops and phones. We miss a lot of things as we go through life. I understand we are all very busy bees, but once in a while truly ask someone how they are doing. Be sincere about it and you'll see many people will truly appreciate the sincere question. You will have possibly made someone's day.

2. Appreciate the little things.

Appreciating the little things is highly effective even on a stressful and difficult day or week. I can vouch for this one. I have a busy schedule and a lot of things need to get done. I often feel like my work and energy goes unnoticed. When a friend, family member, or someone acknowledges all the hard work I have done, it's a confidence booster. I realize that I am accomplishing a lot.

3. Believe in them.

Not everyone has the same support system or strong foundation. Always be sure to believe in your loved ones and tell them so. Do not just assume they know you believe in them. Make sure to let them know. Trust me they are listening.

4. Please and Thank you go a long way.

Bringing it back to common courtesy. A please and a thank you are little things that can make anyone's day. Knowing they are worth a please and a thank you may be enough to lighten up their day. It also is just important to go back to common courtesy. In today's day in age, you don't really hear a please or a thank you and that is just sad overall.

I understand we overlook these little things many times because we feel there are much bigger things going on in our life that need our attention. I get that I am guilty of not always doing all of these things, but I think it is important to at least try when you can to do these little things. There are so many people on this planet that come from very diverse backgrounds you never know who you will affect with a small kind gesture.