13 Movies To Watch As A Hopeless Romantic

Grab the Kleenex, the candy bars, and the comfortable sweatpants.
110

Urban Dictionary defines a hopeless romantic as "someone who is in love with love." They believe in fairy tales. They are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, and the imaginative people who choose to go through life saying, “Aww,” and crying at long, mushy Instagram posts.

We shouldn't be viewed as naive softies (because we know the likelihood of someone kissing us in the rain or bringing us flowers exactly in the middle of a breakdown, all without us asking, is slim), but instead be viewed as the optimists that like to dream about these romantic things, anyway. Since finding someone with these attributes we often dream about is near, if not completely, impossible, we must find another outlet for our romantic needs. Here's where we find our home in literature, music, and movies. Below is a list of the 13 perfect movies for any hopeless romantic to turn to when they need a night “experiencing” their idealistic dreams, and which will serve as an explanation to some of the not-so hopeless romantics as to why we can’t help but love it the entire time.

1. "The Notebook"

If you’re a bird I’m a bird, babe. Really, we all know the best romantic couples are the ones that survive those heat of the moment, passion-filled arguments that always end up taking it too far. And, if the ups and downs of Allie and Noah’s relationship throughout the movie isn’t enough, the two dying in each other’s arms will surely do it for you.

2. "Titanic"

There was definitely room on that door for the both of them. Anyway, remember Romeo and Juliet? Allie and Noah from above? All people who are forbidden to be together but are destined to be, regardless? Well, us romantics love it.

3. "Pearl Harbor"

If you’re thinking, “Whaaat?” then you obviously haven’t seen this movie. Because, apart from the 30 minutes in which this movie actually focuses on the historical event it's named for, this is a romantic’s dream. The heroine of this story gets to fall in love twice and both times it ends because of "death."

4. "27 Dresses"

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Twenty-seven dresses also means 27 weddings. Swoon.

5. "Sweet Home Alabama"

Southern accents and Patrick Dempsey. Need I say more? Young love is the sweetest love, and knowing that there's a chance that one of our gigantic failures of a relationship has a chance at coming back full circle is just music to a romantic's ears. BRB, going to console McDreamy on his Reese Witherspoon loss. He can kiss me anytime he wants.

6. "The Best of Me"

I’m still crying about this one, honestly. Because really, what us romantics love more than a story with a happy ending is one without it. I don’t want to spoil the plot, for those of you who have yet to venture into this new, dark, and depressive low that Nicholas Sparks has created, but I will leave you with the fact that just when you think this movie ends sadly, it gets sadder.

7. "10 Things I Hate About You"

Any relationship that starts out with crappy intentions from one party and turns into full fledged love is pretty awesome. And, a girl that isn’t afraid to admit her love via a poem to the class? Rock on, girlfriend.

8. "Fool's Gold"

Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are literally a power couple, and I’m more upset that they aren’t together in real life than I am that Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey haven’t tied the knot. This movie is just another one of their wonderfully performed romances.

9. "The Wedding Planner"

Dr. Matthew McConaughey, child-loving Dr. Matthew McConaughey. Any movie that starts with a prince charming sweeping in to save the damsel in distress is a romantic’s dream.

10. "Friends With Benefits"

Guys and girls can totally just be friends. Guys and girls just can’t sleep together and pretend it doesn’t mean anything. The constant frustration caused by the stubbornness of Mila and Justin makes this one a keeper.

11. "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days"

I really think this goes without explanation. Among the million of other reasons that this is the best movie on the list, it has the cutest game of BS in the history of card games.

12. "He's Just Not That Into You"

The first movie to ever call out the flawed view of “he's being a jerk because he likes you.” It is in fact true, though, that as humans, we love the chase. This movie perfectly exemplifies all the dramatic stages of a relationship while giving some of us romantics a wakeup call to our flawed tactics.

13. "A Walk to Remember"

You remember that date that turns into marking the whole “two places at once” thing off her bucket list? Yeah, that’s pretty adorable. So is the fact that love can utterly change the path that one person is heading down. And that’s why we can’t help but to believe in and embrace it.