13 Jobs You Take On In Order To Be A Dedicated Dance Mom

Why be moody when you can shake your booty.

20
Brandi Miller

In the cover photo, my mom is the cute blonde, who's grinning ear to ear with pride for her daughter. She has always been my number one fan.

When I asked my mom about the many contributions and efforts she's put in through my 15 years of dancing, she gave me a much more detailed answer than I expected. In fact, she gave me a list of "jobs" she took on over the years in order to make my experience run smoothly.

My mom was everything from a backstage hand to the loudest fan in the crowd.

So I want to say Thank you. Thank you to any and every dance mom (and any dads who took on this role as well) out there because you rock. Keep it up. Here are 13 jobs that every good dance mom has done her fair share of times.

1. Chauffer

Drive a carload of giggling girls to dance camp or a competition and you'll understand how this isn't a task, it's an actual job. Girls are loud, opinionated, and demanding... especially when we're driving by a Chik-Fil-A. Not to mention, they are constantly driving us to and from practices and games as well.

2. Videographer/Photographer

There is a never-ending demand from dancers and their parents for more and more pictures of their dancing. My mom would constantly have to download all the pictures/videos of me off her phone and onto the computer so that she could take some more. "Let's take a team picture now!" is one of the most common phrases you'll hear besides, "do it again!"

3. Hair Stylist

I would say, "I need my hair in a sock bun." And my mom would be like, "A what?" And this would proceed with her learning yet another style to do my hair in. She did everything from curly ponytails to french braids with a zig-zag part. And she ALWAYS had an extra bobby pin for me whenever I asked... even if she had to pull one from her own hair-do.

4. Makeup Stylist

My mom once said to me, "How do you get your eyeliner to go on so straight?" And I remember looking at her, baffled, and all I could think was, "How do you not know, you've been doing my makeup my entire life." Truth be told, I had never had straight eyeliner until I learned to do it myself... but I taught her and she's still my stylist.

5. Personal Seamstress

My mom would watch a one minute and 30-second performance, then run backstage and help us with our quick-changes, run back, take a breath, and do it again. She did everything from gluing sequins to costumes, cutting the ribbon for hairbows, bleaching fringe that was supposed to be white, pinning my outfits to make them fit better, and buying me pair after pair of tights.

6. Cheerleader

Get out your cowbells because the dance moms are here to stay. If you are at the state competition and your mom doesn't have a sign or noise-makers, you better get right on that. Those little signs of support and encouragement mean so much to the team... even if they are embarrassing at first.

7. Food Coordinator/Caterer

From breakfasts at 6 A.M. to planning our banquet, dance moms ALWAYS have to be on top of the food coverage. Dancers are hungry and we love our late night Steak 'n Shake runs.

8. Judge

Whether it's judging choreography, music choices, outfits, or emotions, dance moms hold a very important opinion that is always worth listening to.

9. Personal Therapist/Physical Therapist

Being a shoulder to cry on was an important role my mom played for me. Knowing that our conversations in the car were personal (sometimes with other dancers in there too), and knowing it was a safe zone, meant so much. We could say anything from expressing our desire to give up to us freaking out about making varsity. Dance moms are your best friend and the best therapist you'll find because you're their daughter and they just want what's best for you.

10. Front Desk Assistant

Yet again, dance moms to the rescue. They assist with people paying to get into games, clinics, or performances, planning events, delegating who does what job, organizing fundraisers, and gathering money for coaches gifts. These assistants may need a raise.

11. Dedicated Donor of Money/Time/Patience

The thousands of hours in practice, thousands of dollars towards outfits and competitions and food, and the thousands of words of encouragement from a dance mom are incredible. This is a truly dedicated sport and having a dedicated dance mom to back you up will get you to where you need to be.

12. Performer

Every once in a while, the moms will get a chance to show off some moves of their own. I remember that one time, my mom was up on stage with some other dance moms at a competition and they were dancing to "Apple Bottom Jeans" by Flo Rida and T-Pain. After all, we get it from our mama's!

13. Dance Mom of the Year

The best kind of mother is the one who raises a dancer. They understand that it takes SO MUCH time and effort. They understand that you're in pain and you're tired of cleaning choreography or working on your turns. The fact is, they get it. And because they get it, they appreciate and acknowledge your hard work that much more. You'll never find a bigger fan of one's daughter than you'll find in a dance mom.