14 Things To Know Before You Date An Independent Girl

Getting your boyfriend application approved will be tough.

300

They're an interesting breed, independent girls; they're... different. We're often mislabeled as loners. Which is accurate, in a way, since we spend a lot of time by ourselves. It's not really about hating people, it's just what we're more comfortable with. Being her friend is interesting in itself but dating an independent girl is like being in a different dimension. She won't want to let you pay for everything, be someone she heavily relies on, or even someone she feels the need to be around 24/7. A girl like this comes with a high set of standards and unique set of challenges. If you're pursuing a girl like this, here's a list of things to keep in mind as you go about dating her.

1. She doesn’t need anyone

Probably the most difficult to understand for most guys and other girls. This is also the mots important thing to understand. Independent girls are a special breed; we don’t rely on others or feel the need to always have company. We’re perfectly content being alone when we run errands or spending some alone time with a journal, the outdoors, or anything we want to do. When it comes to relationships, we’d love to have the companionship. But don’t make the mistake of feeling like she relies on you or needs you to have a good time. She’s perfectly capable of showing herself a nice time and providing for herself. She won’t hesitate to drop you like a fly if she feels she’s being suffocated. She was trucking along just fine before you came into the picture, I guarantee she’ll continue on the same way.

2. What she really wants is a true companion

When we go looking for someone, we don’t just decide to let them in because they’re cute or they say nice things. Sure, those are encouraging factors but there is so much more we look for. An independent girl really wants someone that will be a best friend, somebody who enjoys all or, at least, some of the off the wall things she does. She wants somebody she can be herself around, someone who understands the value of having alone time and doing her own thing. A guy that can be on her level and banter with her about anything and everything.

3. She’s going to do what she wants to

Most of us independent girls are very strong-willed; we’re used to fending for ourselves. When we want to do something, we’ll set out to get it done. We probably won’t ask for help because we enjoy figuring it out on our own. She won’t take kindly to the idea of being told she shouldn’t do something or hang out with someone. That’s when you’ll have to trust that she won’t betray you and that someone she says is a friend, truly is a friend, even if he’s a guy.

4. She may have several guy friends

With us being so independent, we don’t often share the same interests as other girls. Needless to say, we hate the drama that usually comes with having girlfriends. Don’t be surprised if she introduces you to or tells you stories about a guy that’s a good friend. It’ll be hard to trust her word that he’s just a friend, but you can count on her telling the truth. But we may also have one or two close girlfriends. Independent girls are usually those who feel that having one or two really close friends is better than having a crowd of acquaintances.

5. We don’t play games

That s*** is for the birds. Be real with her or leave. She’s got her own ideas and plans in mind and doesn’t have the time for some boy’s games. Life is too short to waste time trying to decode a guy’s mixed signals. It’s really not difficult to be honest about how you feel. So, just bite the bullet and do it. Just do it! Don’t make the mistake of thinking she’s saying she’s better than you, that’s not the case. She just has bigger fish to fry.

6. She needs alone time

If she says she just needs some time to herself, don’t assume you did something to upset her. She just needs some time alone with her thoughts to recharge her batteries or do whatever she needs to. An independent girl is used to spending the majority of her time alone. Naturally, including someone else in her me-time is going to cut her alone time short. Respect the fact that she may not answer you or want you around while she’s doing her thing. It’s nothing personal, she just needs that time for herself.

7. Letting someone in isn’t easy

She may not trust people that easily, so letting someone into her life won’t be easy for her. It also won’t be easy for her to figure out how to include you in her everyday life when she’s used to doing everything on her own time. Be patient with her and know that in time, she will figure it out. Don’t insist that you see her everyday or hang out with her every night. While she’ll enjoy feeling wanted, she may feel pressured and torn between doing what she wants to and being with you. In time, she’ll figure out how to incorporate you and your life into hers.

8. She will still go to events and places alone

She doesn’t mind going places alone, even if it is something like a concert, a festival, a party, or whatever. She’ll go alone in a heartbeat. If you can’t go with her, that’s fine, too. But don’t expect her not to go just because you can’t. She may miss having your companionship, but she will still enjoy going alone. If it seems that she’s going somewhere you’re hesitant to let her go alone, trust her and her judgement. She’s capable of handling herself.

9. There’s a line between being protective and controlling

Even the most independent girl will admit she wants to feel protected and safe with the guy she’s seeing; watching your own back gets tiresome after a while. It’s nice to have someone step in and watch out for you. But there is a fine line between watching out for her safety and being controlling. That line gets crossed around the time she begins to feel you’re trying to tell her what she should and should not do. With a girl who’s fiercely independent, this can be tricky since even the slightest mention of what you want her to do may make her feel she’s being controlled. Trust in the fact that she will make her own decisions and that she knows how to take care of herself. Be her boyfriend, not her parent.

10. She belongs to no one

She is her own person with her own life, dreams, feelings, thoughts, and ideas. The minute a guy begins to think of her as his property and begins to be hesitant sharing her with the world and her friends is the moment he may push her away. She won’t take kindly to feeling like someone’s possession. Treat her as your equal in every way, as a companion, a close friend with a deep bond.

11. She will be fiercely loyal

If you’re someone she really cares about, she won’t risk screwing it up. Chances are she doesn’t like disappointing people or hurting them, so she will do everything in her power to keep that from happening to those she’s close to. When she says she’d never do anything to hurt you, she means it. She can put herself in your shoes and imagine how you’d feel. She probably knows the sting of someone’s betrayal and the ache of being hurt and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. You’ll be able to trust her wholeheartedly.

12. She will be more mature than your average girl

You won't find her biding her time doing the same things everyone else her age is doing. She may have passed her party-all-night phase if she ever had one. That's part of the deal with someone so individual. She'll seem kind of like an old soul at times. That means she may not want to sit through the same corny comedies you do or find the same jokes hilarious. It doesn't mean she won't do it for you but she may not be laughing with you the whole time. Accept the fact that she grew up a little faster than you did, don't call her a prude or a buzzkill. She's neither of those things and she won't take kindly to being called such.

13. She won't change for anyone

She's an individual. In a world where individuality seems to be fading, treasure that quality. Take her as she is or leave her. She is who she is and if you really care about her and like her for who she is, you won't ask or want her to change. Chances are she wouldn't ask you to change either. If you do, what's the point? You fall for someone that's not truly the person you want them to be. Where's the good in that? That's not to say there aren't small things that can't be worked on. But asking her to change major parts of who she is won't fly with her.

14. She will always, always want honesty

She’s always going to be honest with you and she will expect the same from you. If you want to earn her trust, don’t give her loads of b.s. The truth can hurt sometimes but lying is never a good option, especially after the truth comes out. Save yourself the heartache and just be real with her. Ain’t nobody got time for a lyin' son of a gun.