13 Alternative Saturday Night Plans That Aren't Just 'Partying'

From bowling to baking to snoozing.

1895
Louis Lo

It's Saturday night and you have had a long week. What do you do? Do you go out to the bars, clubs or parties like every weekend prior? Or, is it time to switch it up this weekend with something new? For when you're just not in the mood to hit the town here are some alternative activities.

1. Girls/Guys Night In

Ah, just like middle school days. Gather a group of friends at one person's house for a cornucopia of food, games, and pizza(s) delivery service. Pictionary, charades and Jenga all are fantastic game suggestions to get the night going.

2. Cards Against Humanity Show Down

This game requires a night all its own. It will also muster up the disturbing thoughts going on in your friends' minds. It's a classic and it might just have you laughing so hard you cry. Cards Against Humanity is a true bonding game; you might never look at your friends the same way again. Or, better yet, when you play this with your family, it's a shell shocker.

3. Just Dance Battles

Not only is Just Dance (and other similar games) a lively form of competition that's entertaining to watch, but it's also a great form of exercise. The duet and group dance options make sure to include the crew. But, say you just want to Just Dance your night away by yourself, that's completely justified and I support your decision. You will not only be fitter than everyone else who decided to go out but you will also be able to out dance them at any given moment because the moves are ingrained in your memory.

4. Movie Night

A true classic. Whether it's a comedy, sci-fi, action, rom-com, or scary movie as your pick for the evening you can't go wrong. Add popcorn (with lots of butter and salt of course), candy, and a pizza to be set for a great night. Pile the pillows and blankets to achieve the ultimate level of comfort for your at home film screening. Or, hit up the neighborhood theater to catch up on the latest releases.

5. Baking Night

Mmmhhh. Yummy. Picture warm chocolate chip cookies or gooey brownies fresh from the oven, a true sign of a great delicious night. Invite some friends over for a baking party. Although a kitchen flour fight is not likely to occur, as otherwise depicted in the movies, it's a guaranteed way to have some fun.

6. Night Drive

The windows down, the breeze through your hair, the smell of fresh air and the serene night sky fills you with that perfect feeling. Nothing beats a night drive when the weather is perfect.

7. Sleep

Sometimes it's just been a hard long week and the eyelids can no longer stay open. The bed calls to you and sometimes you just have to give in to the gloriousness that is sleep.

8. Catch Up On Homework

Not an ideal way to spend a weekend night, yes, but maybe you need an excuse to stay in and there's always papers and homework to do. Or maybe you really are swamped with papers, projects, and homework, and Saturday night is literally the only time you have to read those three chapters and draft that outline.

9. Pamper Night

A nice warm bath, a face mask, body scrub, candles (for smell and ambiance) and a nice soft blanket to cocoon yourself in after your soak in the tub.

10. Work

Get that $$$. Working might not be an ideal way to spend a Saturday night, but you'll be richer for it.

11. Bowling

A classic, in my opinion. Nothing like a few good games of bowling with pals to ensure a great night.

12. Play True American

Never heard of this wildly confusing yet highly entertaining game? Well, thanks to the show New Girl this game exists (here are the game rules). Things might get a little rowdy, but it's all in good fun.

13. Star Gazing

When the sky is clear and the temperature is just right, it's time to head outside to gaze at some stars. Bring a blanket and a friend or two, maybe even a pup and set up camp someplace to take in nature's serene beauty and the impressive sky.

In the end, it's your life, your night, so you get to decide what to do with it.