12 Underrated Holiday Movies You Need To Watch This Winter

'Tis the season to for loads of eggnog.

29

Everyone has staple holiday movies to watch, and these non-traditional flicks are worth a viewing or six. So raise your eggnog to these other underrated Christmas films that deserve to be a part of your annual holiday viewing rotation.

1. Gremlins (1984)

I’ve been obsessed with this film ever since I was a kid, mainly because of Gizmo’s cuteness. The film is a success because it succeeds at producing both a comedy and a horror in one go which can't be easy. Most comedy horror films are a joke, but Gremlins is both funny and scary. It's funny seeing the Gremlins cause mischief but it's also scary throughout-they're not exactly pretty creatures and are quite scary as well.

2. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (1970)

Some charmingly dated scenes only add to the warm innocence of this movie: like when Jessica realizes "her own town has turned against her" and begins singing of her love for and desire to be with Kris Kringle....transcending into a cornucopia of hippy-trippy flowers, swirls, and polka-dots and finally catching a glimpse of her paper cutout reflection in the water fountain in the center of town. Remarkable!

The film’s main message is one of love and the courage to follow your heart and do what you know is right regardless of the obstacles that come your way. A wonderful Christmas special that no holiday season is complete without.

3. Die Hard (1988)

Many will argue that this isn’t a holiday film and I can see why they say that. But this film an 80’s classic and a very enjoyable treat, especially around Christmastime. “Die Hard” is a terrific example of what happens when all the pieces of a film fall together perfectly. There simply are no weak spots or dull moments in the film. Is "Die Hard" one of the best overall movies ever made? Probably not. But it's undeniably one of the best action movies ever made, and it just might well be the perfect modern action film.

4. Trading Places (1983)

Neither underrated nor forgotten as a film, “Trading Places” is nevertheless underestimated as a Christmas classic. It kicks off around Thanksgiving and concludes just after New Year’s Day, but the heart of John Landis’ Reagan-era satire is a humanistic Christmastime formation of an unlikely family unit.

5. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)

If you liked the first two Harold & Kumar movies then you will likely like this one. If you have never seen a Harold & Kumar movie, they are an implausible storyline, very irreverent, even crass, comedies that always break taboos.

This movie's storyline is again unlikely and at times totally ridiculous, it's a total cut-up comedy. You get the sense that the actors were having fun while they were filming. I laughed (and moaned) throughout the entire movie which I think is kind of the benchmark for this genre.

6. A Christmas Carol (2009)

The truth is that this is one of the most beautiful and faithful remakes of the Dickens classic. The dialogue is taken nearly word-for-word from the book, and the look and feel of the film brilliantly capture what you would imagine wintertime in London in the 19th century to be like. A few of the special effects are a bit over-the-top, but most work well and add enough pizazz for cynical modern-day audiences. The scenes featuring the Ghost of Christmas Present are worth the price of admission alone.

7. Scrooged (1988)

This is a Christmas movie that also is very enjoyable to watch outside of the holidays. The story is basically a modern version of the classic Dickens novel "A Christmas Carol" and it's done wonderfully. It's great to see how the classic story is translated into the 20th century. Everything works very well: The settings, the characters, and the events, everything. Very recommendable and close to being perfect.

8. Home Alone 3 (1997)

This is the third installment of the Home Alone franchise and the funniest, in my opinion. This film received a lot of criticism because Macaulay Culkin didn’t appear along with the wet bandits. We can’t keep them forever. This film is one of the most clever holiday movies I’ve ever seen. This time around we have 8-year-old Alex Pruitt defend his house against international criminals that fall for every one of Alex’s sadistic booby traps.

9. Serendipity (2001)

This charming romantic comedy has all the right ingredients and serves up a bouillabaisse of schmaltzy romance and slapstick fun. All in all, this is an entertaining comedy that is insubstantial but delectable. I tend to give romantic comedies a little more slack, because I'm a sucker for this slush, and this is one of the better ones I've seen in awhile. This lighthearted romp makes a great holiday date flick, but if serious drama is your preference, stay away.

10. Are We There Yet? (2005)

In this comedy, which unfolds between Christmas and New Year's, Ice Cube is attacked by reindeer and gets into a fistfight in the middle of a group of ice-skating snowmen.

11. Krampus (2015)

If you find all that holiday cheer a tad oppressive, then perhaps a little merry mayhem might be the ticket. When a boy just doesn't have the Christmas spirit, he unwittingly summons the dreaded Krampus demon in this horror comedy.

12. The Polar Express (2004)

Visually, it's a stunner. There is much artistry involved in this film, especially when the night scenes of the train's fast-moving travel through a blustery snowstorm capture some rich winter landscapes, including a frozen lake that threatens to demolish train and passengers before danger has passed. The camera-work is continually fascinating as is the artwork involved. All in all, quite an imaginative and innovative achievement — impressive enough to assure its place among Christmas favorites with an unlimited appeal for the young at heart.