12 tips to reach the goal in your next marathon

If you plan to run a marathon, without abandoning the race before completing it, do not miss these recommendations.

17

Running a full marathon is an objective that more and more people are considering, at least once in their lives. If you are one of them, here are some tips for not abandoning this demanding endurance race.

1. Your health is first:

The first step, according to the specialists, go to a medical check-up to check that you are in good health and rule out any pathology that could put you at risk. Although you feel very good and run with some frequency, there are congenital illnesses that you may not know you have.

2. Previous feeding:

It must be taken into account that an average marathoner completes the race like running an ironman in three or four hours. In that sense, it is suggested that about four hours before the race the runner eat a meal of 500 to 1,000 calories, which includes carbohydrates such as whole grains, potatoes, rice or pasta. These foods can also be consumed the night before. If hunger overwhelms you, do not try new foods to avoid intestinal discomfort that can appear on nerves. The infusions with honey and fruits will be your allies to keep the stomach busy.

3. Training and rest:

The training to run a marathon should be long-term, there are even those who finish participating in one of these races and shortly after they begin to prepare for next year. However, during the last three weeks before the marathon, it is advisable to run less and rest more. It is one of the keys to arrive prepared and with enough energy.

4. Do not release sneakers and wear comfortable clothes:

If you wear new shoes you will run the risk of irritations or blisters that can ruin your debut in the races in the background. The first thing when choosing any garment is that it makes you feel comfortable, that you like it, motivates you and that every time you see it you feel like going out to run.

5. Go to the bathroom in the last minutes:

Before warming up and crossing the starting line, go to the bathroom to be able to hold the whole race. However, if you cannot stand it, do not be overwhelmed: stop, do your needs and resume the march.

6. Be patient at the beginning:

As you will be fresh at the beginning of the race, you will go out with everything and you will have to make an effort to measure your speed and decrease it if necessary. It is recommended that you start a little slower than your average pace and then increase it as you go kilometer by kilometer.

7. Do not be scared by the black nails:

It is very common that some bruises appear under the toenails when you run long stretches. They are known as repetition trauma and are due to the small strokes that occur in the fingers inside the shoes.

8. Get hydrated well to better reach the goal:

During the race takes advantage of the water points, which are usually every 5 kilometers, to drink in small sips. As in the half marathon (21 kilometers), it is recommended to drink half a glass of water or isotonic drink every 15 minutes.

9. Control your iron levels:

The lack of iron is very common in women, vegetarians, and athletes. An iron deficit can make you feel tired and be more prone to injury. Check that your diet has enough iron so you can get ready for the marathon.

10. Look for the company:

Preparation is easier and enjoyable in the company. This will also help you compare your progress with that of other riders. Find a friend to go out to train or a group of runners unless your nature makes you more inclined to run alone and enjoy it.

11. Do not fight with anyone:

It is common for beginners to be affected by older a person who is ahead of them or who are overcome by others. Remember that running means seeing only the journey of oneself, not the rest. Think positive and visualize again and again that you will reach the goal.

12. Do not stop abruptly after crossing the goal:

Try to walk, at least a kilometer, to try to unload part of the lactic acid that is being deposited in your legs. Do not forget to gently stretch the muscles for fifteen minutes. If you do this, you will feel better the next day.