12 Things To Thank Your Parents For

12 Things To Thank Your Parents For

Thank you times infinity.

13
12 Things To Thank Your Parents For
My image

When I first came to college it felt like I was a little bird being pushed out of the nest in hopes that I’d learn how to use my wings, and fly before I hit the unforgiving ground. Being on my own and without the support of my parents that I once so heavily relied on made me realize how much they’ve done for me and how much I’d taken them for granted. So this one’s for you, parents, and all that you’ve done, sacrificed, and given to me. I’m more thankful than you’ll ever possibly know.

1. Thank you for driving me places for all of those years.

Before I had a license or car, you were my chauffeur to wherever I needed to be. Whether it be a practice, rehearsal, a birthday party, school, appointments, you drove me. I’m sure it was a big hassle and you’re glad you don’t have to anymore, but for the time that you did - thank you.

2. Thank you for all of your advice.

Ok, I’ll admit it. Parents are very rarely wrong. Thank you for offering your words of wisdom when I needed them the most. Thank you for guiding me whenever I felt lost.

3. Thank you for cleaning up after me.

Thank you for cleaning up after me all of those years. I’m waking up to the harsh reality that I don’t like living in a messy environment and I have to pick up after myself now. No one’s there to tell me to clean my room or do my laundry.

4. Thank you for always cheering me on.

Thank you for coming to my games, shows, and performances. I always loved looking out into the crowd and seeing you there or hearing you scream my name.

5. Thank you for providing for me.

I’m so thankful to be able to attend college, have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, and food to eat. Thank you for working so hard - you’ve somehow always managed to provide me with more than I need and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to thank you enough for that.

6. Thanks for teaching me how to do an endless list of things.

From riding a bike to tying shoes to doing laundry, you were always there to teach me new things. Thanks for teaching me how to survive in this world, God knows I still use the things you taught me on a daily basis.

7. Thank you for your unconditional care and comfort.

You were there for every loud thunderstorm and midnight nightmare. You made me soup when I was sick and told me it would be okay even when I believed it wouldn’t be. Thank you for always standing by my side. Thank you for your reassurance in the times I was most unsure. Thank you for always knowing how to make me feel better. Thank you for always coaxing laughter out of me after my tears. I don’t know how you do it, but I’m thankful that you do.

8. Thank you for instilling good morals and values in me.

I am the person I am today because of you, and that’s for sure. Thank you for the way you raised me, I’m proud of the person I am becoming and I only hope to make you proud too.

9. Thank you for your forgiveness.

As the wise Hannah Montana once said, “Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days”. And growing up, I sure did have a lot of those days. Thank you for always accepting my apologies. Thank you for allowing me to make mistakes and learn from them.

10. Thank you for letting me be myself.

In a world and society where kids and teens are constantly being told who they should be, how they should act, and what they should do, thank you for always allowing me to express myself and be who I want to be. You’ve always supported my dreams and aspirations and for that, I can’t thank you enough.

11. Thank you for teaching me what love is.

You were there through all of my heartbreaks and all of the frogs I kissed who never turned out to be Prince Charming. Growing up and seeing the unconditional love you both have for each other has taught me what that unconditional love that I hope to have one day looks like.

12. Thank you for your endless love and support.

I know I can always rely on you to be there for whatever I need. Thank you for always answering my calls - whether it be to talk or because I’m still not quite sure how to navigate the adult world. Thank you for sending me pictures of my dog when I’m sad. Thank you for all the “booboos” you made better and heavy loads you made lighter. I know I wouldn’t have made it this far without your love and support.

I guess I am an adult in the legal perspective of things, but I wonder when that part of me that feels like a little girl in a big, intimidating adult world will go away. I asked my mom once if anyone really knows what they’re doing in life or if they’re just winging it, and she asserted that most adults are just kind of winging it as they go - which offered me some comfort about this whole growing up thing. I could go on and on about what I want to thank my parents for, but this will have to do. Thank you for everything, mom and dad. I love you more than I'll ever be able to put into words.