12 Things To Never Say To Someone With Divorced Parents

Just don't.
149

Some people are still fortunate to live in a house with both parents who are still married, unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I always hate when people question me about it, and make insensitive comments towards me. They probably don't understand how ignorant their comments can be sometimes. Regardless, here are some comments that people need to stop saying.

1. "It must be nice to have double the gifts for your birthday and other holidays."

The extra amount of gifts does not make up for the amount of stress that gets put on your life from deciding whose house you should be at, and who gets you for certain days of the week.

2. "I'm glad my parents are still together."

I didn't ask if your parents were together or not, but thanks for sharing anyways.

3. "There are sometimes when I wish my parents would get a divorce."

Just stop. There are other things to wish for in life and you pick this one? Not cool.

4. "Which parent do you like more?"

I may have my preference of which parent I like, but what makes you think I'm going to answer this?

5. "Do you think they'll ever get back together?"

Do you think pigs will ever fly? Both of those questions sound ridiculous don't they? My parents went through the painful process of a divorce, so I HIGHLY doubt things would just change overnight.

6. "Your parents divorced forever ago. Things are probably fine now."

A divorce is not like fine wine; it does not get better with age. It's not something you can just put a band aid over and act like it never happened.

7. "Will you invite them both to your wedding?"

For starters, I'm not even sure I'll get married. I still have a whole life ahead of me to decide that. Also, they are both my parents and will forever be my parents. I wouldn't include one and not the other.

8. "You must have a lot of trust issues."

This is none of your business. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. It's not in your best interest to know everything about my life.

9. "Will either of them get remarried?"

I don't know. I don't care. This is the least of my worries currently.

10. "Nowadays, divorce is so common."

That doesn't make it any easier. Maybe you don't understand since your parents are still married, but you're basically telling me to get over it since it's such a common thing today.

11. "At least they are still living."

This shouldn't be a competition of who has it worse. I could only imagine how tough it is to lose a parent, but having split parents is also a tough situation to deal with. Everyone has their own struggles to deal with, no matter how big or small.

12. "It doesn't seem too bad."

Well, it is. And your insensitivity isn't making it any better.