12 Things You Miss About The South When You Move Up North

Roll Tide, Roll.

488
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Growing up in the south, there are some things you become accustomed to that are just a part of your everyday life. Here are a few things I miss about home that I never thought I actually would.

12. The weather.

I never had the opportunity to experience snow growing up. It snowed for maybe 5 minutes when I was in 6th grade, they sent us home early, and by the time I got off the school bus it had melted. Now living in Delaware/New Jersey, I can say that I've experienced snow many times over the past few years, and I'm not a big fan. It was nice the first few times, but I much rather be in 50-60 degree winter weather in a place where it never snows at all. Cold weather is not for me and I miss the humid, heated forecast of Alabama.

11. Southern Hospitality

Down South, everyone is kind of taught to go the extra mile. You always respond with "Yes, ma'am/ No, ma'am", or "Yes, sir/ No, sir". Everyone holds open doors for one another, you say "please" and "thank you", everybody knows everybody, and everyone is always so nice, and it's very comforting.

10. Boiled Peanuts, Grits, and Sweet Tea

Don't make fun of me, but these are three comfort foods I wish I had ALL THE TIME. it's just not the same up here, no one knows how to make them, no one puts love into it, and they are hard to come by. Also, not many people up North are a fan of grits. So, you won't really find it unless you're in a diner or a Cracker Barrel.

9. Oversized shirts and monogrammed everything.

These are clothing trends that are super popular in the South and I wish that I could pull it off everyday without looking like a bum or obsessed with myself.

8. The National Peanut Festival

Although this is VERY VERY specific to the tri-state area of Georgia, Florida, and Alabama, it is a yearly tradition that has been a part of my hometown culture for decades. Because Alabama is known for it's peanut crop, every year around late October/early November we have a huge festival to celebrate it. People come from all over the country to visit the festival, and my family even has a stand there every year.

7. Southern Breakfasts

Biscuits and gravy with sausage have always been a home-cooked classic. (So are grits :) ) If you ever want to try it, stop by my gran's house. She makes it the best.

6. Dirt Roads

Everywhere you go down South, you'll find a long winded red dirt road that leads you to a creek, someone's home, or just where ever you want it to take you. Sure, your car is always dirty, and sometimes you might get stuck in a ditch on a rainy day, but it's a part of our lives that I wouldn't want to change.

5. Driving for no reason except to drive.

It's scenic, it's fun, gas is cheaper. It's relaxing and a great destresser when you're feeling a little tense.

4. Mudding

This seems a little stereotypical, but we actually do it and it's a lot of fun if you like to get messy. Just find a good vacant mud hole/field and take your dirt bike or 4-wheeler for a spin.

3. On Sundays, we rest.

Even if you're not a church-goer, you usually have Sunday to take a break. If you're not off of work completely, you usually close early.

2. Produce stands are everywhere and they're POPPIN'.

You won't find any better produce than at a produce stand in the South. Maybe it's just me, but because everything is home grown it just tastes better.

1. Finally, THE COST OF LIVING IS CHEAPER AND EVERYTHING RUNS AT A SLOWER PACE.

If I was still living down at home, I would have more money, and probably not be so stressed. Everything is so much more relaxed while everyone up here is always moving, moving, moving.

*While the South is great and I miss it very much, I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to make a life for myself up here with my family and friends. And while the North doesn't have everything I WANT, it does have everything I need and I'm thankful for that.*