12 Things Every Incoming Freshman Should Know

Go to college to get a degree and to discover new adventures.

18
Sophia Camaya

College can be exciting for a high schooler who is stellar with their grades and to those who aren't. It is an adventure, but then there are things that not every student knows when going into college. We were excited to take the path to college, but we don't really think of memories made with friends or the crazy things we might do. These are some things I did that made my college experience awesome.

1. There is no such thing as having too much stuff.

I overpacked so much that when I moved back home at the end of the year, my car was overflowing.

2. Join a club or sport.

Do something with your time there where you can make memories and look back on something you had fun doing.

3. Take advantage of your student discount.

We're poor, so why not save a few nickels when using your gift card at the mall or somewhere?

4. If you're interested in being an RA, do it?

Do it. Many of my friends were RAs and they enjoyed every minute of it. I sometimes wish I applied to be an RA because it would have been a fun experience... AND look great on the resume.

5. Study at least once in the library.

You can tell mom you did it all the time knowing you only did it once. It's not really a lie.

6. Go to every event your dorm RA tells you about.

Spring formalish, Cookies and Condoms, Floor Wars, and many more!

7. Pursue your dream.

Don't let people talk you out of majoring in Art History or working hard to make it to Regional competition, JUST DO IT. Do it for you.

8. Go to some of the sports events.

Even if you're not sporty, you can sometimes score free school march.

9. Go to the outdoor or indoor movies.

I did twice. One outdoor and one indoor. Hey, they're free for students!

10. Go explore the city you live in.

Go to some of the local cafes, hikes, theaters, and shops!

11. Go to all the late nights activities.

Warm brownie night, warm cookie night, chicken nuggets and curly fries... All the best foods come out at late night.

12. HAVE FUN.

Yes, college is for getting a degree, but don't make it your four years at college. Go do something fun, something, crazy, and something memorable.