12 Lessons You Took To Heart Growing Up With Country Music-Lovin' Parents

Because you either love country music, or you're wrong.
367

I'd like to dedicate this one to my Pops, for forcing me to listen to Shania Twain's music videos since day 1 in the back of your Aztek. If you are anything like me, you understand the struggle that is growing up with country music-loving parents. Well, if there is one thing that I wouldn't change, it would be that. This love for the music of the south that speaks of the good Lord, the great grounds of America, and the way that life should be lived, has definitely played a part to shape me to be who I am today. Here are a few things I have learned along the way:

1. "God is good, Beer is great, and people are crazy."

In that order. You can thank Billy Currington for that one. He taught me in “People are Crazy” that if I befriend an old man at the bar, maybe, just maybe he’ll end up sharing his life stories with me and leave me his millions of dollars in inheritance when he passes. But also that God is always good, beer can be great, and people are just flat out crazy, and crazy awesome sometimes.

2. “It’s OK to not feel important”

Brad Paisley said in “The World” that to the man at the ice cream shop, I might just be another scoop, and to the world, I may just another girl, but to my old man, I’m the world. That if I ever wonder if I matter, I should look into my dad’s eyes and know that I am everything to him.

3. “Stop right here and see what you’ve got to be proud of”

According to Montgomery Gentry in “Something To Be Proud Of,” whether it’s your mama’s dream of graduating college, simply putting food on the table or doing the best you can it’s something to be proud of, it’s a life you can hang your hat on.

4. “We aren’t the same, but that’s what makes us strong"

Dierks Bentley tells us this in his song, “Home.” The brave, the blood, the past, and the long hard ride we have come all amount to this place that we all call home.

5. “Love like crazy”

Lee Brice will tell you in “Love Like Crazy” that all that you need to live a happy life is to be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you, go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense, never let your prayin' knees get lazy, and love like crazy.

6. “Others that broke my heart, they were like northern stars pointing me on my way”

“Bless the Broken Road” by Rascal Flatts will tell you this lesson. Eventually, the narrow path will pay off, it will point you on your way because God blessed the broken road that will lead you to home.

7. “Live like you’re dying”

Tim McGraw recounts from an old man in “Live Like You’re Dying” that Fishing isn’t such an imposition, so go skydiving, do crazy things because someday you’ll realize that tomorrow is a gift, and that you need to live like you’re dying. Moments are precious.

8. “It’s not what car you drive, there's no dollar sign on peace of mind”

By looking at the title, you would never know the significance this song could have, but after listening to Chicken Fried, by Zac Brown Band, you will understand that it's the little things in life that mean the most, that it’s not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes.

9. “This is my temporary home”

Carrie Underwood Reminds us in “Temporary Home” that it’s not where you belong, it’s just a stop on the way to where you’re going. Don’t be afraid, you have to know that this is your temporary home. No matter what part of life, this is important to remember, literally, or spiritually.

10. “Don’t blink”

Kenny Chesney warns us in “Don’t Blink” to be careful because if you don’t, you might think an old guy on the television is talking to you. But also, be careful because if you do, you might miss your babies growing or fifty years, because once your hourglass runs out of the sand, you can’t flip it over. So, breathe every breath God gives you for what it’s worth.

11. “You gotta dig your roots”

For what it might mean to you, Florida Georgia line says in their song, “Dig Your Roots” that you have to show some love back to your hometown, fall in love, plant some seeds, carve some names in the family tree, raise your kids, love your wife, put God first, just to live your life, and go get a little more dirt on your boots.

12. “We’re one big country nation”

Over 2000 country stations, we are just one big country nation. Don’t forget to pray before you race. Appreciate it while sipping on your sweet tea and apple pie. Brad Paisley won't let you forget it in “Country Nation.”