12 Forgotten Etiquette Rules We Should Bring Back

It's a sign of respect

411
Pexels.com

This list of etiquette examples aren't technically "forgotten", but more so that people just don't seem to do these things anymore and it's very upsetting. What happened to being courteous? To having manners? When did etiquette suddenly get thrown out the window? Etiquette doesn't have to mean the way you dress or the way you eat, but how you treat others in general. It's about showing respect to yourself and your peers/family/strangers.

Here are 12 semi-forgotten rules that we need to bring back:

1. Making the bed when we stay over someone's house

Don't leave it a mess. You don't have to make it exactly how it was, but at least make it presentable.

2. Waiting 3 days to call/text someone after getting their number

Sure, it's tough for both parties to wait and it might not be for everyone, but there are people out there who do like this because it's considered old fashioned.

3. Waiting to eat if not everyone has received their food at the table yet

4. Sending a "Thank you" note to someone when they give you a gift

A thank you text will suffice, but a note is better. I absolutely hate when you give someone a gift and they don't thank you at all. Especially, if you sent it in the mail.

5. Helping to clear the table when you eat at someone's house

I would never eat at someone's house and just leave the table with my plate there. Bring it to the kitchen and at least leave it on the counter.

6. Being on time when meeting someone

Don't make anyone wait for you. Maybe a few minutes is okay, but when you're 30 minutes late or more, that's just rude (Unless there's a reasonable excuse).

7. Dressing nice when celebrating a birthday or another special occasion

People wear a t-shirt and jeans and call that dressing up. Make an effort!

8. Completely putting our phones away when with people

This is a more recent issue, but people seem to forget what it's like to communicate face to face and hold a real conversation with a person.

9. Pushing your chair in when you leave a table

10. If you're a smoker, asking if it's ok to smoke around people you're with

A lot of people don't want to breathe smoke in, have asthma, etc, so be polite and ask first before you start lighting up.

11. Never show up to a party empty handed

It's best to bring a card, wine, or food if you're not sure what you should bring.

12. Chew with your mouth closed

If I wanted to be with cows, I'd go visit a farm. I also don't want to see the food being chewed in your mouth.

Like I said, most of these examples are self explanatory and aren't necessarily forgotten. I've noticed that in today's world, we aren't being as respectable as we used to be. Have the decency to show respect to others as you would want to be treated the same way.