12 Cute Date Ideas For Long-Distance Couples

Long-distance relationships can suck when you're apart, but your dates don't have to.

2210
123rf

Long-distance relationships can be hard to maintain. When you don't get to see each other every day, sometimes you feel like you may be growing apart. Or maybe you talk to each other enough, but you feel that the conversations are quickly running dry. Although I know that long-distance can suck, it also can be such a blessing in a relationship, as it gives you lots of time to talk without so many distractions. You just have to take hold of all the opportunities you have!

Since it can be difficult to go on traditional dates in a long-distance relationship, here are some date ideas that can be done no matter how far apart you are from your loved one!

1. Take a walk.

Call each other, and just take a walk. Setting time aside to simply talk is so important, and that time can get lost if you're busy and distracted. Walking helps you to focus on each other, and there's an added bonus of getting a little bit of exercise!

2. Get a meal.

OK, I'm never this fancy. However, my fiancé and I have driven to the same restaurant, gotten it to-go, driven back home, and then video chatted while eating. It gives you a closer feel to a real date, even if you are still hundreds of miles apart.

3. Study.

As a college student, I need to study like ALL the time. A study date simply consists of calling each other over video chat, and then just studying right next to each other. You can even take study breaks together. Personally, my favorite part is making faces at my fiancé until he looks up from his book and notices me.

4. Play a game.

You can both pull out your competitive sides by playing a friendly game. Whether it be Words with Friends, Trivia Crack, Draw Something, or some other game, almost every game is now virtual and will let you play with each other, even from a distance.

5. Read a book.

You can either read aloud to each other, or you can simply read a chapter of a book together and then discuss it.

6. Watch a movie.

With modern technology, there are so many different ways to watch a movie together from afar! Rabbit allows you to watch Netflix and video chat at the same time. Showgoers is a Chrome extension that syncs your two screens, no matter the distance, and has a chat bar on the side. And despite all of our great technology, my favorite way is still "3...2...1...go!"

7. Video chat.

The classic long-distance date is just a nice video chat. You can use Skype, Facebook, Whatsapp, or so many other apps to video chat now. Nothing special about it, except you get to see each other's faces and hear each other's voices. And that's something special!

8. Give each other a tour.

Especially when you're somewhere new, it's always fun to give your significant other a tour of where you live. Knowing where they are reassures you of their safety and makes you feel more familiar to their surroundings.

9. Watch an entire TV series.

I don't mean all in one sitting...but I mean, whatever floats your boat. Watching an entire TV series through the end is great because you can talk about it and feel like you get to share something small together.

10. Plan and dream together.

I'm engaged, so for me, this means planning for our wedding and dreaming up different wedding and honeymoon ideas. However, you can plan for the next time you see each other, the next time you visit each other's families, or even just a fake vacation.

11. Ask questions.

Playing "the questions game" is a great way to have awesome discussions. As you learn new things about each other, it opens up to deep discussions about the past, hopes and dreams, or even maybe just a funny story.

12. Pray and discuss the Bible.

Long-distance relationships are difficult, and really the only way to do them right is to keep the relationship centered on God. Whether you read a devotional or a short Bible passage together, make sure to discuss your faith. It's important to be on the same page with your significant other, and we all know that we NEED prayers.