I Asked 12 College Majors What Motivates Them To Pursue Their Paths — Here Are Their Inspiring Answers

Why do you do what you do?

478
Natalie Chevalier

One of the most incredible things about being in college is the fact that throughout the four short years you’re here, you encounter so many different people pursuing a variety of career paths. We all have our own stories, ambitions and values that drive us on these paths — things that keep us going through the long hours of studying, hard exams, endless papers and intense research that truly make up the academic experience of college.

I wanted to find out more about what truly motivates people to pursue their degrees, so I asked around. Here are 12 college students’ unique and inspiring reasons why they do what they do:

Politics

“I've always been interested in how countries interact with each other and the major role the US plays on the global stage. I think, being from the US, we have a unique opportunity to influence the world in ways people from many other countries can't.”

— Hugh Hudson, junior studying political science, international studies and German at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Education

“My goal is to create a safe space in the classroom where students are free to explore and gain new perspectives and experiences. I want the students to be the focus of my classroom and have a say in their education. Creating this safe place for children to learn and grow is my reason for wanting to teach. It is SO rewarding seeing children gain confidence through education.”

— Kendall Klak, senior studying education at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
“After becoming educated myself, I have seen the value in knowledge and learning. The more we know, the better our society becomes. If I can help children in my future classroom make a difference in this world I think it would truly be the greatest thing! What motivates me the most to be a teacher is knowing that I can be a role model and mentor for students and help them be the best versions of themselves.”

— Margaux Brink, junior studying education at Texas Christian University

Psychology, Social Science

“I’m pursuing psych and criminology because I hope to combine the two areas and relate psychology mood disorders with crime and help adolescents address psychological issues to help avoid the cycle of crime. I think the two fields can really inform each other and by diagnosing adolescents and getting them help before they turn to a life of crime can help to decrease crime rates and help people in general.”

— Maddy Rockhold, junior studying psychology and criminology at Marquette University

Medicine & Health

“My passion for medicine stems from my interest in the biological sciences, but also in my unwavering belief in the power of medicine in transforming people’s lives for the better. I’ve witnessed in my own life, and in the lives of patients I’ve encountered over the years while volunteering in hospitals, that a physician's role is not only to alleviate the suffering of physical ailments, but also to act as an emotional anchor to their patients. I want to pursue a career in medicine because I want to commit the rest of my life to serving patients that suffer not only physical, but mentally and emotionally. I’ve learned that journey of ill-health can be maneuvered with the help of a physician who exemplifies empathy, patience and compassion."

— Laura Lettenberger, junior studying biology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
“I do what I do because the body is so fascinating, and I love learning how we function, move and adapt. I want to help others reduce pain, restore function and prevent injury to live happier and healthier lives.”

— Christine Lager, junior studying kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
“From a young age I always wanted to find a job that involved forming connections with people, and I was always intrigued by science and medicine. Nursing is the perfect combination and I like the idea of leaving your job every day knowing you made a positive impact on someone’s life.”

— Kelli Paluch, junior studying nursing at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
“I truly believe the importance of healthy and nutritious food products, but also products that the consumer actually wants. I believe that people can enjoy their food and love the taste while still being nutritious.”

— Kate Sprenger, junior studying culinary sciences and nutrition at the University of Georgia

Business

“Actuarial Science brings math, stats and business together. I am fascinated by calculating risk, determining loss frequency and severity among other things. I am motivated by learning new things and being the best professional possible.”

— John Swanke, junior studying actuarial science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Communication

“I am an aspiring sports journalist who cares deeply about humanizing the athletic persona to tell hidden narratives. I think this is extremely important in today’s world among the many new multimedia platforms that are coming to fruition. Sports Journalism gives me an opportunity to cover the excitement and anticipate the compelling storylines that are yet to come.”

— Noa Rubnitz, junior studying journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Engineering

“I decided to major in engineering because I wanted to be challenged and specialize in something unique. I would love to focus on redesigning tools and products to make them more efficient and eco-friendly.”

— Sydney Wagner, sophomore studying mechanical engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Art

“I think I chose a creative major because it had more to do with the kind of personality I have. I knew I wasn’t the type of person to want a 9-5 desk job, I needed some personal creative expression weaved in with it… feel like studying photography and then the business side, management, is important to know how to send a message through creative expression. It’s also key to knowing how to resonate with people and how to portray myself as an artist into this world.”

— Danielle Carr, junior studying photography and business management at Colombia College Chicago

Now that you've heard what motivates these students, ask yourself, what motivates YOU? What gets you up every day to go to class? Where do you see yourself in a few years, and what are you going to do to get yourself there?

Don't lose sight of the passion behind your work in college, no matter how hard, tiring or downright awful the work can be sometimes. Stay motivated. Embrace your path and own it.