11 Ways To Kick Distance’s A@#

11 Ways To Kick Distance’s A@#

Pro-Tips for Long Distance Couples

247
11 Ways To Kick Distance’s A@#
via David Enrique Bello Jr.

Long Distance relationships are unlike most. Sometimes the people you love may live on the other side of the world. Though things may get challenging at times, these tips may help strengthen your relationship and keep you on track.

1. Plan Ahead (ALWAYS)

In order to make the most out of your time together, plan ahead—dates, stay-in days, anything. When you haven’t seen your loved one in a while, the last thing you want to do is wait around for the next time they come around only to spend hours trying to figure out what to do together. Plan around your school and work schedules to come up with another time to visit each other and maximize time together. Plan your dates, apps like Groupon can also help you find affordable things to do. Moral of the story is, make sure you know when and where will be the next time you’ll see each other so time apart doesn’t seem so uncertain. And always have a backup plan in case of a rainy day.

2. Try Different Means of Communication

Texting can be boring sometimes, and doing too often can also cause you to fall into a routine and lose that hopeful spark. Sometimes you need to hear their voice or see their face, even if it’s just digitally. Switch it up and keep it interesting. Try Skyping, FaceTiming, or talking on the phone for a change. Communication is always clearer that way anyway. If you are both busy people or live in different time zones, it may even help to schedule contact time with each other so that even when life gets hectic, you know there is dedicated bae time.

3. Don't Hesitate to Talk

If there’s one thing a Long-Distance relationship needs its communication. It’s all you have when you’re apart. For this reason, its key to remember that vulnerability is an important aspect of a successful Long-Distance relationship. To connect with your significant other, you cannot be afraid to talk—about the past, future, present, anything. Establishing an understanding amongst each other about open communication is a must. And it should be stressed amongst you both that the other should feel comfortable and confident in expressing themselves.

4. Use Rabbit

Some of the most intimate moments can be shared simply watching something together you both enjoy. Unfortunately for Long Distance couples, it’s difficult to do that digitally when FaceTime and Skype have time lapses. For this reason, if you haven’t heard of Rabbit, now would be the time to sign up. Rabbit allows couples to video chat with one another while watching something together in real time. With this web and mobile app, you and your significant other can feel more connected to each other, finding a series or movies to watch together and enjoy.

5. Create Playlists for Each Other

It is said the universal language is music, and sometimes music can convey a message much more clearly than you can. Perhaps this might be the case with your significant other. Making a playlist of songs about LDR’s such as “Close As Strangers” by 5 Seconds of Summer or "Pixelated" by Jeremy Passion might be helpful in showing how you feel or might be relatable to your partner. Perhaps a playlist of songs that simply remind you of specific memories with that person can be comforting to them and help them recall those memories as well, reigniting hope. Music can say what might be too challenging to say to each other.

6. Store Photos for When You Miss Each Other

Store your memories. Literally. I know this is an era of keeping pictures and videos on your phone, but what happens if your phone breaks, gets lost, or the memory is erased? Opening up a Google Drive or Dropbox account you share with your bae is not only a good way of storing all your best moments together, but it’s a helpful way for either of you to refer back to it. Whenever you miss each other and things get tough, storing photos this way can give you a place to go and be reminded of everything you love about each other.

7. Try to Find LDR Related or Forums to Share Your Journey with Other LDR Couples

Sometimes you have to talk about it. Maybe your friends don’t really understand how you feel or what you’re going through because they’ve never been in your situation. Maybe they’re just really pessimistic about Long Distance relationships and you need to hear a motivating, positive message. Finding other Long-Distance relationship couples through blogs and forums can be helpful—whether in giving advice, being relatable, or just inspiring. It’s good to have people who can understand you and who you can talk to freely. For all you know, they might be the comforting voice you need to keep going.

8. Give Them Something of Yourself

Anything from hoodies to teddy bears to cologne is acceptable. Call it a memento, giving something of yourself to your significant other can be a romantic and comforting way to indicate that even though distance creates an obstacle for your physical presence, you are always with them. Articles of clothing or stuffed animals sprayed with your cologne or perfume make great cuddle buddies for the lonely nights.

9. Gifts Should Be Memorable

When gifting anniversary or birthday or Christmas gifts to each other, make them count tenfold. Because you don’t always share many moments with the other person, time together can be very memorable. So should be your gift—a reminder of the value of these memories. These can take the form of a framed photograph of you together, a scrapbook, a personalized item that represents a hobby they enjoy, among other things. Make it stick.

10. Start a Savings Fund with your Significant Other

Even in a piggy bank. Long Distance relationships can be expensive because of traveling alone. A savings fund can come in handy to facilitate traveling expenses or even dates when you’re together. If you and your loved one agree to save a certain amount every month, in no time you can have enough to spend a great time with them again.

11. Alternate Visits

You can have a lot of adventures in the person’s hometown and they can have a lot of adventures in yours. It can be one of the benefits of being in a Long-Distance relationship. You get to travel somewhere new when visiting and might learn something or go somewhere new each time you visit. For this reason, it would help to alternate visits to change the scenery, the plans, and keep the relationship interesting and exciting each time to take your loved one somewhere they’ve never been in your city. Travel doesn’t have to be expensive either. You can check apps such as Wanderu, Google Flights, Hopper, Skyscanner, & momondo when anticipating trips to ensure that both of you have a chance at saving money with every visitation.

Though Long Distance relationships may be hard, they can be worth it. With a little extra effort and planning, you can make the best out of the situation and find yourself someone that can truly make you happy.