11 Ways To Help Yourself And Others Feel Better After This God Awful Election Season

Pet a dog, hug your friends, and shower this yucky week off.

16
Zone of Success

This week has been way too long. If you're one of the many, many people across America who, after Tuesday's election, feel scared, sad, disenchanted, or just shocked, you're not alone. With everything that's been going on, t's hard to know how to cope.

Most of us don't know where to put our negative emotions, or what to do to help ourselves and the people around us feel better. So, instead of another dose of sad news, here are some ways you can help yourself and others.

1. Hug someone!

No, seriously. Hugging releases oxytocin, a hormone that helps reduce blood pressure and anxiety. So hug someone who needs it too.

2. Get of social media!

It's hard to stay unplugged in this day and age. Now more than ever, we want to be kept in the loop. Unfortunately that can also take a toll on us. If you're feeling overwhelmed by all the bad news, stay off Twitter and Facebook for a while.

3. Purge your texts/social media/emails/etc!

In the same vein, sometimes we can get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on our phone or our computers. Take some time to delete old texts and emails, and unfriend those people you don't talk to anymore. Go on, do it. You know you want to.

4. Embrace your inner child and get coloring!

Adult coloring books got really big last year, and they're great stress relief. Best of all, you don't have to get a fancy mandala one from Barnes and Noble--a simple child's coloring book from CVS will do the trick.

5. Get clean and get organized!

Nothing beats putting hard work into organizing your closet or desk and then seeing the results. Even if you're not up to taking on a big project, just dusting off your counter, changing your sheets, doing the laundry, taking out the trash, or taking a shower can improve your mood.

5. Exercise!

Okay, I know no one actually likes going to the gym, but it does help you feel better. Forget about burning calories--working out has multiple health benefits. It lifts your mood, improves depression and anxiety, releases endorphins, keeps your heart and brain healthy, and helps to clear your mind. Think of it as rebooting your system. Even a simple walk to the park will help. If you can't do that, have a dance party. Invite your friends. Shake it off.

6. Do that thing you've been putting off!

Have an annoying project you've been procrastinating starting? Don't worry, we've all done it. Fortunately it will provide an excellent distraction from current events.

7. Talk to your friends!

Seriously! Check in on them and see how they're feeling. If they need to talk, lend an ear. If you both need a distraction, find something to do together, or just talk about something other than the election.

8. Make yourself laugh!

Find something funny on YouTube or Netflix and pretend the real world doesn't exist for a while.

9. Donate to charity!

Now more than ever, women and minorities need your help. Donate (or volunteer!) to Planned Parenthood, The Trevor Project, the ACLU, National Park Foundation, the Trans Lifeline, AIDS Foundation, NAACP, Black Lives Matter, Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, Amnesty International, Disability Rights and Education Fund, National Latin@ Network--countless places need your help. Also donate and volunteer at local food banks and shelters. Doing good helps you feel good, too.

10. Get educated!

There has been a lot of hate and division during this election. If you don't understand why people are sad, scared, or upset, or don't know how to help, listen. I cannot stress that enough. Coming together means listening to each other and standing up for each other, not just sitting back and staying quiet until it all blows over. Help those who need it, and listen to those who are speaking.

11. Remind yourself that there is good in the world.

As Mister Rogers wisely said, look for the helpers. Look at those who have already done good. Look at what we. as a whole, and you, as an individual, have achieved this year. Remember that there are things in this world worth fighting for, then stand up and fight for them.

Remember that a lot of people are feeling scared and helpless right now. The best thing you can do is be there for them, and take care of yourself. There is always a way to do good.