11 Plans For Actually Staying Sane In College

Here lies a list of gentle reminders I wish I'd been given before starting college.

32
Kelsi J. Mahfouz

Starting a new school year brings about a lot of change – new settings, new classes, new peers, and more. While young people, especially students, are exceptionally good at evolving, so much change at one time can be overwhelming. On top of this, students in college often feel a great amount of pressure to excel, both socially and academically, which can lead to an unhealthy amount of stress throughout the year. I am here to tell you that having good grades and a fulfilling social life is certainly important, but never at the expense of your mental health. As it is incredibly easy to fall victim to the seemingly unrelenting anxieties that can be brought upon by college, I’ve compiled a list of gentle reminders and tips that ought to help you to have a bright, sunshine-y year.

1. Go to your classes.

Aside from what you're told about classes being important because "you paid to be there so you might as well go sit through them", attending lectures makes your learning material seem worlds more friendly. Putting a face and a voice to your professor will make you feel more comfortable if you ever needed to approach them with help. Furthermore, going to class will allow you to meet people who are in the exact same boat as you, and provides an opportunity to make study groups for intimidating lessons.

2. Allow yourself an occasional mental health day.

[Not to contradict what I just said in #1, but...] Going to every single class every single day is not the most important thing in the world. If you wake up one day and you feel miserable or like you're at some sort of breaking point, go back to sleep. Using that day to rest and regroup will be of much more benefit to you than dragging through classes in which you aren't paying any attention. Of course, though, you shouldn't abuse the "mental health day" excuse to the point where its meaning is no longer valid.

3. Establish a reliable routine.

Leaving your daily plans up-in-the-air will lead to disorder that will ultimately turn to chaos. One practice that is common among each healthy and happy student is that of finding a routine that works for you. Make sure this routine incorporates homework, social time, exercise, and at least 7 hours of sleep. ALL of those items are essential - do not sacrifice any of them. It isn't easy, but it is 100% doable, and you'll be grateful to yourself for doing it. Having a set time to complete your daily tasks will make it feel much easier and more organized.

4. Establish a reliable support base.

Make sure that you have people that you can contact for emotional support. Whether it is a partner, a friend, or a counselor, have someone that provides for you a safe, comfortable place and a great pair of listening ears. It is very important to be able to 'get out' all of those icky feelings and make room for happy ones.

5. Don't compare yourself to anyone else.

When attending a college or university, you encounter many amazing people. You find yourself constantly blown away by the amount of intelligence that surrounds you. Eventually, though, you become SO impressed that it makes you question your own intelligence. Please remember: college is where people go to concentrate on specific disciplines and skill sets. It is likely that they will know more about [their major] than you will, but remember that you, too, have your own special strengths. College is a place for learning and growth, not comparison. This applies also to physique, income, style, etc. Don't waste your energy thinking about what you're not, and instead remember all the great that you are.

6. It is okay to make mistakes.

It's a given that you're going to make mistakes while you're taking in all of the new knowledge that school offers you. Making mistakes opens the door for corrections, which makes you better. Everyone will have some trouble at some point, so don't beat yourself up when it's you.

7. Ask for guidance.

As I've already mentioned, everyone will experience troublesome lessons and difficult times. It is perfectly okay (and encouraged!) to ask not only for help, but also for guidance. If you're stressed about money, let your mom guide you through the necessary plans to stay financially stable. If you're stressed about your degree path, speak with school counselors about the best route for achieving exactly what you want from school. You have resources, use them. It does not make you any less or any weaker of a person for doing so.

8. Don't depend on coffee (or anything else).

All too often do I hear college students claim that they are surviving only with the aid of copious amounts of caffeine. I get that sometimes these claims are just to be funny, but they should still be taken seriously. I once watched an 18 year old girl have a stroke after pulling an all nighter and drinking only coffee and Monster for 30+ hours. Mind what you put in your body. Treat it kindly, and in return it will be kind to you. Moreover, your well-being should not depend on anything. You must learn to be self sufficient, and college is the best place to start teaching yourself independence.

9. Drop things if they are too much for you.

This applies to many different things - classes, clubs, or even people. In a yoga class I once attended, the instructor told us to do our best to complete the exercise as demonstrated, but never to strain ourselves. He told us, "If it does not feel good in your body, do not force it." That advice resonated with me, and I began to apply it to much more than yoga. Growth will be a challenge, but not a strain. If you are stretched too thin, prioritize and consider dropping one activity so that you aren't straining your body (or mind). If you find a person's company to be more draining than fulfilling, it is okay to leave them behind, too. Your youth is when you're allowed to be the most selfish. Take care of YOU.

10. Never feel obligated to say yes.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: take care of YOU during college. Think of yourself and of your health. You should never feel guilty for saying no to something that you do not want to do, and you are not meant to be bull-dozed. Maybe you've been asked to take on an extra responsibility, maybe someone's requested a time-demanding favor of you, or maybe it's as simple as being invited to a social gathering - if you don't want to say yes, you do not have to.

11. Remember why you came to college.

Lastly, it is ultra important that you remember why it is that you came to school. You arrived bright-eyed and ready to learn. College is about improving your current self and preparing for a great future. You ought to be learning and having fun. If you find that these things aren't happening, and that the bad is outweighing the good, re-evaluate what you're doing.

College is truly a wonderful time; there is so much to be enjoyed. If you are sure to prioritize your mental health and happiness, you will be able to truly make the most of the experience.