11 Things You Should Really Know How To Do BEFORE Starting College

Don't be one of those people who doesn't wash their clothes until they go home for the weekend.

59
RD

You just graduated high school, and you're so ready for the increased freedom that comes with college.

No more living under your parents' roof (yay). While this independence sounds incredible, "adulthood" comes with more responsibility than you may imagine.

There are plenty of things that your parents may do for you (that you may not even realize), so here are 20 things you should know/know how to do before you go off on your own this fall!

1. Laundry.

This one is kind of a given. When you go off to college, you're going to have to start doing your own laundry if you don't already. Make sure you know how to work a washer and dryer-- don't be one of those people who doesn't wash their clothes until they go home for the weekend.

2. Making your own appointments.

Chances are, you may have to visit the doctor's office a few times while you're in college. Know how to make a doctor's appointment, and don't always rely on your mom to do it for you.

3. Your medical history

Along with making your own appointments, know your allergies and medical history before you go to college. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you don't want to have to call your mom from the doctor's office trying to figure out if you're allergic to any medications.

4. Basic car things.

Listen, you don't have to be an expert on how to upkeep your car. However, make sure you know the basics and keep a tool kit in your trunk. You never know when your battery may die, and your dad may not be around to help you jump your car this time.

5. Making adult phone calls.

Growing up means having to make more phone calls. Learning how to talk to adults is important, and you'll definitely have to make your fair share of phone calls-- like to tech support when your computer stops working.

6. Cooking basic things.

You may be moving into a dorm and be on a meal plan, however, you should know how to cook a few basic staples. Know how to scramble eggs, cook chicken and veggies, and maybe have a few more cooking skills under your belt. You're getting older, and pretty soon your mom won't be cooking dinner for you every night.

7. Self-motivation.

Honestly, there is no real motivator in college that is not self-induced. You are now working for yourself, not so your parents won't yell at you for a bad grade. For many, this may be to keep a scholarship or to get a good job someday, but many who never really "tried" in high school don't know how to be self motivated when it comes to school work. Remember, college costs money. Go to class, work your hardest, and study. It's all in your hands now.

8. Watch your spending habits.

In high school, it's really easy to use money carelessly. Your parents covered a lot of your expenses, so you never really had to worry about it. Get in the habit of checking your bank account regularly, as it's really easy to "accidentally spend" $100. Dealing with money is now in your hands, and there's lots of apps and resources to help you manage your spending habits.

9. Being clean.

Okay, I can be a messy person at times. Keeping your dorm clean can be hard. However, there is a difference between being "cluttery" and "dirty." Take time to wipe down your surfaces with a lysol wipe. There's tons of germs in college, so *please* be conscious of disinfecting your surfaces- especially after you or your roommate have overcome sickness.

10. Simply, taking care of yourself.

Create routines for yourself for when you wake up and go to bed. Honestly, a lot of people's personal hygiene takes a hit when they go off to college, and there's really no excuse for this. Make a routine, and you'll stick to it. Always brush your teeth and wash your face-- and take your vitamins. Your body will thank you,

11. Exist on your own.

Sometimes we really do just need our parents. Going to college, in no way, means complete independence. However, you need to start learning how to be on your own and how to problem-solve without making a phone call home. It can be an adjustment, but pretty soon you won't even want to rely on your parents anymore.

Best of luck 👊