11 Things I Want Every Little Girl In My Life To Know

I hope every little girl who is a part of my life knows this because I love you all more than I could ever say.

21

1. You are absolutely beautiful.

In every light and in every angle, you'll one day twist and turn like you used to do in tutu's, but you'll do it in front of your full-length mirror before school because you are beautiful. Sooner than you think you'll be trying on prom dresses and sitting in the dressing room in tears because something doesn't look right and even then; with the zipper halfway up and eyeliner smeared, you will still be beautiful. I promise even when you are wearing no makeup and in your footie pajamas you are more beautiful than I could ever put into words.

2. You are so incredibly smart.

I've seen you sit at the table and cry because you didn't want to learn how to multiply. I've seen you push books away because you didn't want to put in the effort to read out loud. But you are growing and you are smarter. You are smart at anything and everything you put your mind to. Don't ever let one hiccup in a subject or area ruin your goals and your dreams.

3. You are so much more than anybody you will ever date.

I hope you never have to sit in your room at night and wonder what you did to mess it all up. Some things aren't meant to be and that is okay. You are so much more than a relationship status with someone who can't see all the great things about you. You have so much more to give the world.

4. You are talented and have more abilities than you know.

I've seen you sing, "Let It Go," I've seen you play piano, I've seen you play soccer, and do ballet in the living room. And you were so good at all of it. Your talents will only grow and flourish and change (which is okay) as you get older. I'll be cheering for all of them from the stands or from the couch.

5. Sometimes you will feel like you don't have anyone and that will never be true.

I promise that no matter how far away I am, no matter how little we talk, and no matter what it is; I will always be there. I will not judge you and I will not tell anyone. You will always and forever have someone who understands you that isn't just Taylor Swift.

6. There won't be a situation that I haven't been through.

I'm sure in some way, shape, or form, I have been there and done that. And I will have some form of advice on the subject even if it seems embarrassing or awkward. I'm usually embarrassing and awkward.

7. Do not compare yourself to anyone.

You are you. And that will always be more than enough. Someone will always be skinnier, "prettier," or "more talented" than you are, it will seem. All you can do is be the best that you can be and not worry about trying to catch up with someone else.

8. I want you to follow every dream you've ever had but I know that isn't realistic.

I want you to be the artist that you wanted to be when you were 5, I want you to be Anna or Elsa depending on the day, I want you to be a doctor (even if it is just because of Doc McStuffins), and I want you to be little orphan Annie on Broadway. I want you to achieve all the goals you have ever had for yourself because you will always have somebody who believes in you.

9. You have taught me so much already.

You've taught me how to curl and braid little girl's hair, how to make moon sand and goo from home, and I know the lyrics to too many princess songs. You've taught me what unconditional love is because I didn't kill you when you messed up my room or when you bothered me asking me how you could help with the cake I was making. I loved you on your good days and on your bad just like you've done for me. I've loved you when you were screaming in the car because we couldn't get McDonalds, and you've loved me when I wrecked my car and felt like everyone was disappointed in me. You are so wise beyond your years.

10. I will always love you more than you will ever know.

I don't love you because I have to. I love you because I love who you are and who you are becoming. And I hope you know that no matter what you do I will always love you more than anything in this world.

11. Lastly, please stop growing up.

I know growing up is inevitable but I sure wish we had more time. I would've held you when you were a baby a lot more and pushed you on the swings longer at the playground. I would've bought you more ice cream and woken up earlier for Santa. I want you to enjoy growing up and don't rush it. Enjoy elementary school and all the goofiness that comes with it. Embrace your awkward middle school phases. Fall in love in high school not just with someone else, but with yourself. Just remember I've loved you since I've known you and I'll love you as you grow through all of your stages. But to me, you'll always be that little girl in a princess dress twirling around the kitchen, you'll always be chasing the ice cream man with me down the street, you will forever in my memory be munching goldfish watching "Despicable Me," and I will always think of you as the little girl who ran up to me at the end of a soccer game to tell me how many goals she scored. So please slow down so I can have a few more of your little memories before you make memories of your own, little girl. You've got the world at your hands and nobody is more excited for you than me.