11 Things To Do When Boredom Strikes

11 Things To Do When Boredom Strikes

Bored or just have free time? Here are fun ways to keep occupied.

17
11 Things To Do When Boredom Strikes

Life is a beautiful thing. It gives us the opportunity to try new things and do whatever we want to live life to the fullest. It also, despite the hustle and bustle, gives us lots of free time. What do you do in your free time? For me, most of the time I just sit on my couch and watch TV or occasionally hang with my friends. No matter what, it can get boring. It's time to make your free time more interesting.

Here are 11 fun or quirky things to try when you have the time and aren't out with friends or working:

1. Write a story.

Ever wonder what it's like to create a renowned book series like "Harry Potter" or "Game of Thrones?" It all starts with a book! Try to write a story and see how it goes. Even if it's nothing near as spectacular as those series, it can still be fun to get the creative juices flowing and emerge yourself in your own world.

2. Read a paragraph of a story. 

Read a paragraph, or section, or chapter of a book.

3. Read a paragraph of another story. 

Remember the first paragraph you read from the other book? Try to connect that to this one! Use your imagination and once again create your own story on how they could possibly be connected. You could easily connect excerpts from "Game of Thrones" to "Harry Potter" if you tried.

4. Watch old movies. 

Who remembers Blockbuster? That was the gold mine of my childhood. Being able to pick a movie and snacks for the night was my favorite thing. They carried a plethora of movies and most old. Go back and time and pretend you're at Blockbuster and rent an old movie. It may bring back the childhood feels, and you'll get more renowned in the movie spectrum.

5. Go to a supermarket. 

Supermarkets are always fun to roam around in and spend time with someone special or just your friends.

6. Try a recipe. 

Use the food you bought at the supermarket to become the next Martha Stewart and pull out your grandma's old lasagna recipe and get cooking. You may find a new passion and you'll get, hopefully, delicious food out of it.

7. Ride a bike. 

When is the last time you've been on a bike since you learned how to actually ride one when you were little? Go on a bike ride at your local park, through the city, or just around the neighborhood.

8. Read your old diary. 

Remember when you didn't get that doll you wanted when you were 6 and had a temper tantrum about it so you wrote your feelings down? if you want a good laugh, re-read your old problems or love stories. It'll rekindle precious memories while getting good laughs out from younger you.

9. Shop online... then don't buy anything. 

I am a sucker for this. I pretend I am rich and online shop constantly, put everything in my basket, then exit out fully knowing I cannot afford anything. It still gives you fashion ideas that you can find at cheaper places while also keeps you occupied in your free time.

10. Go on Zillow. 

Going along the lines of online shopping, look at houses online. You can find some mammoth mansions on Zillow that are just fun to look at!

11. Write for Odyssey. 

Use Odyssey as your platform. Remember that story from the beginning? Post it here! Have a love letter you don't want the recipient to see, aka "To All The Boys I've Loved Before," write it here! It is fun, easy, and once again a great way to let your creative juices flow.