11 Telltale Signs You're An Incoming Freshman

Everything an incoming freshman does to prepare for the new chapter of their life.

12

So, you graduated from high school and moved on from your childhood. You're slowly getting into the grind of being a freshman in college. But in order to do so, you have to prepare, learn and get in the groove. College is completely different from high school in many ways; you're on your own and have to fend for yourself now. This applies when it comes to decisions, food, studying and tons of other things. Below are signs that really show you're about to start one of the most important parts of your life.

1. Eating Ramen and easy mac more than a normal person usually does

Everyone loves ramen and mac and cheese, right? They're the quickest and cheapest things to make, and though it's lovely at first, the taste gets old in no time.

2. When you know the floor plan of Bed Bath & Beyond after visiting it four times in the last week

Going college shopping is an essential for the freshman experience. But, you probably forgot some pretty important stuff on your first round. Pro tip: ask relatives for gift cards.

3. The two weeks before move in is the most time you've spent with your friends than the past four years

Everyone dreads saying goodbye to their friends. Instead, you pump up your final weeks with constant hang outs and plans for dinner and movies. It seems a lot easier than approaching the thought of being away from them for a long period of time. Don't be afraid, you'll make new friends when college starts and you can always make plans when you're back for the holidays!

4. Cherishing the moments with your pets; you won't see them until Thanksgiving

Give Buster those extra treats and let him into your bed at night, because pretty soon you won't be seeing them until the holidays.

5. New me, new nickname?

"Honey, you get to reinvent yourself. You can even change your name!" If you're an incoming freshman, you know your mom has said this an infinite amount of times. You've gone by Christopher your whole life, is the new "college you" a Topher? Or you, Elizabeth, are you now Beth? Or Liz? Or Eliza? You get my point.

6. You start to work on those deadly summer sleeping patterns

From falling asleep at 2 a.m to waking up at 12 p.m., you know that's not going to fly at college. You know you're going to have to wake up for those treacherous morning classes, so it's better to start now!

7. You start shadowing your mom when she does laundry

It's time. You don't have a mom at college to do your laundry for you. Since she's been doing it for the past 18 years of your life, you thought you never had to learn. Put on your seat belts and grab the detergent! (P.S. Don't worry, it's not that hard).

8. Dorm tour videos

Everyone needs some creative advice when they start thinking about how to decorate their dorms. YouTube is the hub of all things necessary and when your whole house is asleep at 1 a.m., you'll be watching dorm tours!

9. Catching up on all things Netflix

As a freshman in college, you're going to have to sacrifice some things in your life. Binge watching six episodes of "Orange is the New Black" might be one of them. Remember, your family's money and hope for your education/success comes first.

10. Oh, what to bring?

Sadly, when you move in to your dorm, you can't bring your whole house. This means you'll start looking around for what is college essential and what has to be left behind. Sorry, but you can't bring all of your shoes and your whole closet. Luckily, by seeing what is necessary for your next year, you will learn how to micro-manage and be more organized.

11. You act nonchalant when your mom asks if you'll miss her, but deep down you know you can't handle leaving her

College is a time of independence and growing as a person, but that won't stop you missing your mom (or other important relative). She is a significant part of your life and being away from her for the longest time in your life is going to be hard. Her voice is just a phone call away, and never be afraid of asking her for help.