In theory, a great song is only a simple beat, a catchy rhythm and a repetitive melody with a few stuck-in-high notes and surprise suddenly slow section. It seems like anyone can produce a great song, but every so often, a song appears into the music industry that almost changes the world forever. These highly popular songs get played on every radio, every TV, featured in almost every movie, quoted in every Instagram bio, found every dance club and in the background of every gym. These catchy tunes seem to drive to the top of the music charts as well as into our memories, no matter how much we don't want them to. So what sets these songs apart? Here are 10 songs I'm convinced history (and the internet) will never let die.

11. "(Hit Me) Baby One More Time" — Britney Spears

Fun fact: the true meaning of this song isn't actually what the title suggests, but the Swedish writers of the song believed that "hit me" was considered another way to say "call." So in actuality, this song was supposed to be only the story of a bad breakup. Whatever the public believed it to be, this song rose to the music charts very quickly and became engraved into the minds of generations after its initial release. In fact, most impersonations of Britney Spears features singers singing lines from this hit.

10. "Eye of the Tiger" — Survivor

Let's be honest, we all felt like heavy metal rock stars when this hit came on the radio, head bangs and all.

9. "Milkshake" — Kelis

Until I decided to write this article, I have never seen the music video or watched a video solely to hear this song. Yet, growing up, I have vivid memories of my friends and I jamming to this bop, knowing all the lyrics word for word. When Kelis's "Milkshake" initially came out in 2003, meaning at its release, I was only two at the time. This song has been able to impact so many generations and platforms that we all can't help but hope that our milkshakes can bring all the boys to the yard too.

8. "Umbrella" — Rihanna

So simple, yet so catchy. What a queen.

7. "Firework" — Katy Perry

Besides confusing all of us with fireworks being rocketed out of Katy Perry's chest, the song's overall message was super impactful and turned the song into a great addition to that "I'm-so-over-him" playlist for a little self-love, for many (many) years after its release.

6. "Titanium" — David Guetta ft. Sia

But is it really a TV singing competition if this song isn't sung at least 10 times?

(Also, does it bother anyone else that you can see Sia's face in this photo? I feel like I shouldn't know this information.)

5. "Don't Stop Believing" — Journey

This song came out in 2005 and peaked on the Billboard music charts in August of that year, holding the top 100 for 73 weeks. As it was a hit back then, the famous guitar solo and chorus is still widely known today. Great for a self pick-up, this song is still seen blasted today and will most likely never go away from both our memory and hearts.

4. "Single Ladies" — Beyonce (AKA The Queen)

Queen Bey blessed us so many times that it would be a crime against humanity to restrict her to one song that'll left a mark on history.

3. "Halo" — Beyonce (because only the queen can appear on a top songs list twice)

Because only the queen can appear on a top songs list twice.

2. "All Star" — Smash Mouth

Just let it rest in peace. No more to be said.

1. "Never Gonna Give You Up" — Rick Astley

Once this groundbreaker was released in 2009, it had begun a new era filled with thousands of replays of this one song and the birth of "rick-rolling."

"Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye..."

...but I think it's time we should.