11 Signs That Someone Is Toxic For You

11 Signs That Someone Is Toxic For You

Sometimes letting go is the only way to heal.

4829
11 Signs That Someone Is Toxic For You

I am sure we have someone in our life that always seems to have a major issue. Maybe it is a friend, a partner, a co-worker or perhaps a family member. You try to be the best person you can be to them but always end up emotionally drained in the end. My sophomore year of college I had a friend that I had to cut ties with. For privacy purposes let's call her Ivy. I tried to be the best friend I could to Ivy but it was never enough for her. Ivy emerged in negativity and it masked my positive outlook on life.

Every time we would hang out our conversations would consist of complaining about life's problems or the latest gossip. These conversations were usually one-sided as I was just a listener. Whenever something positive happened for me, Ivy was never proud. I would see her eyes roll and negative remarks would spew of off her tongue to discourage me. I loved her very much but I noticed a pattern that wouldn't change. I contemplated if ending our friendship was the correct thing to do. I knew the situation I was in wasn't healthy either. It wasn't until later I learned the signs of toxicity.

1. They always have tea.

If someone is always telling you about what someone else did or what Sally down the street heard, this may be a warning sign that this person is toxic for you. What do they say about you when you're not around?

2. Everything is your fault.

No matter what you do or don't do, somehow everything is your fault. A toxic person will cause a problem and then blame you for not trying to fix it. They will start an argument only to play the victim card. They will drive you away and blame you for your distance. No matter what you say, you are wrong in their eyes. For example, my ex once blamed me for failing his English final because I texted him. It wasn't my fault that he didn't know the answers. You can never win with a toxic person. They will never take responsibility for their actions.

3. You are always tired or not feeling well.

Maybe you always feel tired all the time or have constant headaches. You may begin to wonder where these things may have stemmed from? Sometimes stressful interacts can have a negative response to our bodies. If you find yourself drained after interacting with someone, they may be toxic for you.

4. They don't move on from the past.

If everything that has ever happened to them in their past is still a major problem without a solution this may be a warning sign to get out.Toxic people love to receive sympathy and attention off of their misfortunes. They will use the negative experience to their advantage for a long time without a doubt.

5. They are selfish.

A toxic person is all about their own motives and personal gain. They will do whatever they can to get what they need. To them, it doesn't matter if it inconveniences you. You become their means to an end. Whatever it is they need, you owe it to them.

6. They leech on to you

When first meeting a toxic person their need to be around you may seem normal. You may think that they are just trying to get to know you more. The truth is that many toxic people fear to be alone because they don't feel like they can do anything for themselves. Some may use their time together as a test to see how easily you can be manipulated. They thrive off of others energy to survive. It's hard to shake them. If you have someone blowing up your phone every second of the day or randomly popping up unannounced you may have a toxic person on your hands.

7. They judge others.

Many toxic people judge others harshly. You may find a toxic person in your life criticizing others severely but whenever anything positive happens that are not around or bring up the negatives to dampen the mood. This is a sign of toxicity.

8. They lie.

Many times people who harbor toxicity will lie to make themselves look better. They may lie about how much money they have or their upbringing. A toxic person may also tell a lie on you to stir up drama and make you look like the bad guy.

9. They try to control your life.

A toxic person does not want to see you making choices on your own. This is their worst fear. They want to be involved in every choice you make so they can control the situation. My freshman year of college my boyfriend at the time was really upset that I was away making friends. He even admitted this angered him. He tried to find every way he could to sabotage it and unfortunately I let him. Toxic people do not like when you make decisions that don't include them. They fear being exposed and losing control of you. How dare you for trying to better your life?

10. They don't listen.

Anything you say to a toxic person will go in one ear and out the other. They don't care what you have to say unless it benefits them. If you try to have a conversation about how they make you feel, your feelings will be invalidated. If you try to set boundaries they will deliberately cross them. If you try to confront them they will diverge the situation with crying or yelling spells.

11. They make you second-guess yourself.

Sometimes a toxic person will make you second guess yourself. You try to remove them out of your life and maybe they instantly try to improve themselves. You may have a few good weeks or even months. Don't fall for the hoax! This is only to keep you wrapped in their web. No matter how many times they promise they will improve it's only for show. A toxic person will usually revert back to their old ways very soon.

These are a few signs of a toxic person. If you have identified that at least one of these is true about someone you interact with, it may be time to do a detox and remove them from your life. Especially if the person is sucking your positive vibes and not allowing you to grow. Protecting your energy and growth is very important. Everyone that comes into your life should support you and help you become the best version of yourself.