11 Signs You're Going Through A Mid-College Crisis

It's a wake up call when you didn't even know you were sleeping.

389
Matteo Visentini

With junior year creeping up quickly, I've noticed that my mindset is on not only college, but also life and who I want to be has changed completely. I find myself being someone I didn't even know years ago as an incoming freshman. If you're "suffering" from a mid-college crisis then you probably have experienced these eleven stages as well.

1. You're really starting to appreciate the people in your life who have been there since day one.

Although the undergraduate party scene lived up to all of its hype, you've been there and done that. Since you've experienced the crazy nights out in bars filled with strangers, a night in with the girls who have always been there for you truly is valued.

2. Greek letters are starting to lose their meaning.

You've realized that when you meet someone, it no longer matters what Greek letters they have behind their name. If they're cool, they're cool. The end.

3. You've found a new love for adventures.

These adventures could consist of anything from trips to Starved Rock National Park to trips to your local cafe on a sunny afternoon. You've started to figure out what things make your soul happy, and you've spent more time pursuing these activities.

4. You value money differently than you did as a college freshman.

You've finally realized that you're spending your own money. You now spend your Saturday nights debating if that $22 fishbowl is really worth it, or if you need to save up to afford a new blazer for your job interview on Monday. Hard choice, I know.

5. You've realized that family comes first.

Family does come first; they always have and they always will. Ironically, you feel like you just now realized how important of a role family plays in your life. You feel like you're making up for lost time when you look back at the days when you were 13 and made your parents drop you off a block away from the movie theater and when you wouldn't let your little sister hang out with you and your friends because her lip gloss wasn't poppin'.

6. You've found a new love for yourself.

After coming into contact with all the unique personalities this world has to offer, you've spent more time exploring the type of person you want to be. You've narrowed it down immensely recently. Maybe living on your own or being away from your parents for multiple years has caused you to figure yourself out, but whatever it was, embrace it. Your life will really start to pick up once you decide to love yourself. You might even be surprised by how much love you have to give others once you accept and grow as the person you are.

7. You've found yourself looking for certain qualities in the people you consume yourself with instead of maintaining superficial relationships.

Your days of small talk and flings are rapidly coming to a close. You've started focusing on relationships and traits you look for in the people you invest your time in.

8. You've discovered that some people matter more than your pride does.

Sometimes you find yourself apologizing even when you know you were right simply because you want to keep certain people in your life, and that's OK.

9. You've embraced the fact that you enjoy hanging out with your parents.

Yes, that's right. Not only have you accepted this fact, but you've even voiced it. You live for those relaxing dinner dates with your parents, and you would even choose them over a night raging at the bars with your pals. Your friends understand when you hit them with the "Sorry, plans with the fan! xo" text.

10. You notice the little things.

You find yourself taking pictures of sunsets and realizing how small you are in comparison to this world. You can find the phrase, "Not lucky, but blessed" in your social media bios. This life has so much to offer and every single person has experienced this day differently. Although you had a bad day, someone else may have had it worse and you are able to wrap your mind around that, finally!Like, wow, who would've known the world didn't revolve around your bad hair day?

11. You've experienced the power of compliments.

You're now a girl who loves giving other girls compliments. This life isn't a competition and you've realized it! Making someone else's day is so easy and you now see that somehow even giving a stranger the smallest compliment can positively impact the way you feel about yourself as well.

By the way, did I mean mid-college crisis or miracle? You decide. But don't be afraid of the future or your sudden change in behavior because, after all, you still have your mid-life crisis to look forward to.