11 Reasons That 70's Show Is Underrated

11 Reasons That 70's Show Is Underrated

To those six kids in the basement of Point Place, Wisconsin, thank you.
209

"That 70’s Show" is a series that was created in the late 90’s and carried on through the mid-2000’s. Although it’s been off the air for years now, with forums such as Netflix, it’s still able to be a relevant series to this day. Even though my generation has NO idea what the 70’s was like, those teens in that Wisconsin basement have made for some entertaining memories that the series have given us. Here’s why I love the show.

1. Red Foreman is the funniest dad

As a Korean War vet, he doesn’t take sh*t from anyone, including his wife. His favorite thing to tell his kids is how he’s going to put his foot in their ass, and he talks about how everyone is a dumbass. Ninety-nine percent of the time, he thinks that Kelso and Hyde are on “dope” and he refers to Fez as “the foreigner.” Being politically correct is not even on his radar, and he’s probably my generation’s version of Archie Bunker.

2. Kitty is the sweetest mom that we all dream to have

Aside from being a loving and compassionate nurse, Kitty comes home to make sure her family has a nice home-cooked meal on the table. They attend to church every Sunday and they don’t miss it, and Eric and all his friends have fresh baked cookies to eat. Plus, it just so happens to be at the right time when their munchies kick in.

3. Ashton Kutcher is like fine wine

When he graced our TV screens as an attractive 18-year-old, it was just the eye candy the series needed. Now that he’s in his early 30’s, he arguably looks better now than he did when he was young. We can’t help but be jealous of Mila. Which brings me to my next point.

4. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are relationship goals

We saw them dating as an on-screen couple and couldn’t help but love them being together. The two goofballs were a match made in heaven. Now several years later, they’re real-life relationship goals as they are now happily married with two kids. And if the fact that Ashton was Mila’s first kiss at 14, doesn’t make your heart melt—leave.

5. Eric Foreman makes you realize every guy has a chance

Don’t get me wrong, I ADORE Eric. He’s the sweetest, the most well-rounded kid that means the best. But no way in hell would a kid like him and a knockout like Donna be together in real life. But Donna had it in her heart to fall in love with Eric. They too were a set of relationship goals.

6. Hyde is the smartass friend we all want in our life

Sure, he might be mean to his friends and tease everyone for everything, but you have to love him. As the correct supplier, he makes every situation fun, teases Kelso to no end, and always seems to have a pair of shades on, even indoors.

7. Fez is the oddball that somehow completes the friend group

As probably the only foreign exchange student I’ve seen fit in so well with a group like this, he has had one hell of a high school experience. He’s left the audience wondering for years, what is his actual name and just where is he from?

8. You kind of wish you could ride around in that Pontiac

Sure that seems like a really geeky car that maybe our grandparents have at this day in age, but tell me you didn’t wish you could recreate that opening segment with them, and scream “Hello Wisconsin…”

9. It was a bit of a history segment in itself

As someone who was not around for the 70’s the pop culture references were explained pretty thoroughly and it was quite interesting to see some of history’s moments brought to life. Such as the first time Eric goes to see Star Wars at the drive in and he thinks it’s the greatest invention God ever created. Or the time that Kitty so badly wanted to watch Roots but Red convinced her to test out the new recording system so they could watch it on their own time. Ahh, history.

10. The location didn’t make a difference

As a gal who grew up on the west coast, there were many mid-west references made. Although Wisconsin may have its own culture and set of customs that are different to where I’m from, it made the show unique and still made it relatable. Hell, I wanted to be a Green Bay fan myself by the end of the series.

11. The simple events made me envious

The group of six, with the addition of their parents and other random characters, taught the viewers that sometimes the simplest of things can be fun. Hanging around in a basement just to listen to a new record is all sorts of fun, and road tripping without any electronics can make for some pretty rad memories.

So, to those six kids in the basement of Point Place, Wisconsin, thank you. Thank you for being another series to give me a form of entertainment. Thank you for taking me to a blast from the past through the entire 70’s, and thank you for the pop culture references that pertain to my parents.