11 Appropriate Reactions To Having A Snow Day At UVA

Lawn snowball fight or lawn slush fight, we all made the most of our well-earned day off.

537
Elizabeth Muratore

Last Wednesday, though it technically fell one day after the first day of Spring, marked the first time in over two years that UVA students had a snow day, a full day of cancelled classes. They were not alone; schools up and down the east coast were closed due to what is hopefully the last Nor'easter of the winter.

From my one previous college snow day experience, I've gathered that UVA students tend to react in one of several ways when hearing the glorious news that "all classes are cancelled due to inclement weather."

1. "Perfect excuse to break my normal routine and go out on a Wednesday."

I didn't realize before coming to college that snow days were also huge "going-out" days. But UVA students will take any excuse to spend an additional weeknight at a bar if they can. What better time to indulge in libations at the Corner than when it's a University-sanctioned day of inclement weather?

2. "I live in an apartment and I don't have a car... looks like I don't have to shovel either!"

I have to say, one advantage of living in an apartment complex as opposed to a house in college is that when bad weather happens, other people besides me are in charge of it. I'll happily be woken up at 9 am on a snow day to the sounds of snow plows cruising through the parking lot, if it means that I don't have to shovel myself. However, if it snows when I'm at home over breaks, as it so often does, I'm not off the hook.

3. "Finally a day to theoretically catch up on all of my work and be the productive wizard I intended to be this week."

When snow days begin, I always start the day with a super-motivated and well-thought-out plan to get everything I've been putting off done. That includes readings I've been neglecting, projects I've been procrastinating on, and that book I started reading "for fun" over spring break and still haven't finished. The world at the start of a snow day is truly my oyster.

4. "On the other hand, finally a day to be a lazy couch potato and watch an entire Netflix series about conspiracies."

Writing this article in the late afternoon is the first mildly productive thing I've done all day during this snow day, which tells you all you need to know about how this day went for me. Hey, at least I got out of bed before 11 am and replenished my Vitamin C by eating some fruit. That's pretty productive for my general health and well-being.

5. "I wonder if I can sled down 14th Street... hopefully no cars get in my way."

I've never attempted this, though I've lived on 14th Street for the past two years, but I'm sure its usually intimidating hills have attracted a few daring sledders over the years. Those hills sure feel like the Blue Ridge Mountains during the day when I'm trudging to class, but with a sled, I bet they're a lot more manageable. Until you have to walk home, that is.

6. "Well I didn't bring a sled to school this semester, but I do have this trash can lid that might do the trick."

Ah yes, trash can lids. The perfect substitutes to winter play gear. A step down from using trash can lids to sled is using plastic bags or down jackets as makeshift sleds, both of which I've seen on my Snapchat story today. A step down from that? Imitating a seal and sledding directly on your stomach.

7. "The Lawn is going to be LIT at midnight, and no ambassadors are going to stop our fun!"

I always enjoy fun nighttime gatherings on the Lawn, but they have a special flavor when hurling compact balls of snow is involved. All the lawn rooms have their doors open, laughter and merriment are everywhere, and crowds of college students are trying to savor the last couple of hours of their snow day before they inevitably return to their action-packed academic lives the next day.

8. "I've never been so happy to get up at 5 am, check my email, inform five different GroupMes of good news, and go immediately back to sleep."

There's nothing more satisfying than waking up early solely to check your email and see if classes are canceled, finding that classes are in fact canceled, and sharing your good fortune with the world. I sometimes worry I'll have trouble going back to sleep because I'm so excited by the prospect of having an entire day with nothing to do, but then I remember that I'm a sleep-deprived UVA student with 35 tests, projects, and papers on the horizon. And that's just for my one credit class. So morning sleep comes easily to me.

9. "Snow days allow me to release my inner child and make snowmen, snow boxes, and snow toilets, just because."

UVA students certainly have no problems acting like kids and indulging in nostalgic childhood activities, like coloring and watching High School Musical, but nothing seems to bring out the inner child in all of us like a hard-earned snow day. And our creativity and unique thinking that got us into this prestigious school is on full display with our thoughtful snow creations.

10. "Patrick D. Hogan, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, YOU are my hero."

This is fairly self-explanatory. I never appreciate someone more than when they are the one in charge of sending the snow day emails. I don't know what he does the rest of the time, but having this one heroic responsibility must feel pretty good.

11. "Wow. All the snow turned to brown slush well before midnight. That Lawn snowball fight might be a lot messier than I thought it would be."

There's nothing more disappointing than going outside, hoping for a pile of fluffy white snow to toss around, and ending up trying to mold brown mush into a snowball. Still, if college has taught me anything, it's to be resourceful, so if this is the snow I've got to work with, so be it.

So, even if the snow day turned out to yield a less impressive Lawn snowball fight than we were hoping for, at least it was a fun day that resulted in relaxation, fun in the snow, and (perhaps) catching up on work. Here's to the next snow day at UVA, which judging by this extreme weather we've been having, will either be next week or in 2030.