11 Foods That Are and Aren't Invited to My Thanksgiving

All food is not created equal, especially not on Thanksgiving.
32

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time of giving thanks for all the blessings and good things one has in their life. Although the history surrounding the holiday is extremely problematic... Americans have tried their best to eliminate the negative and highlight the consumerism... I mean the family-friendly aspect. Regardless of what your reasons for celebrating Thanksgiving, I think most Americans can agree that it is a food based holiday. Who will host the dinner? What time is dinner? But most importantly, what's for dinner? Thanksgiving feasts vary depending on culture or preferences and everyone is familiar with the various memes about what you would and wouldn't eat. Well folks, I've decided to put my two cents into this conversation. This is based completely on my own personal preferences and I don't expect everyone to agree. That being, here is the food I am hoping to see Thanksgiving day and the food that shouldn't even bother showing up.

1. Turkey - Yes Please!

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/friends-tv-gD9fN082EsLwA">v... GIPHY

I think Turkey is a staple and should be present every Thanksgiving. If you're one of those people that is like "I hate Turkey, it's so dry," well I hate to break it to you but the person who made it didn't do it right. Turkey can be very juicy and tender. Last Christmas I made a Turkey that fell off the bone. My family was shocked (I was too low-key cause I high-key have no idea how I did it.) Turkey is great and even better for those leftover turkey and stuffing sandwiches.

2. Stuffing - Oh Yeah!

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/thanksgiving-stuffing-savor... GIPHY

As a child I hated stuffing. But I found out it was only because I never actually tried it. Then one day I did and the heavens opened up and poured even more stuffing into my mouth. I love it. It should be on every table. However, you lose me when you start adding anything other than bread, celery, and chicken stock. I don't need cranberries and mushrooms and weird things. It is beautiful just the way it is.

3. Lasagna - Maybe not

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/bfd-xT77Y36ijyuwn58bja">via GIPHY

I love Lasagna, but I don't think it should make an appearance at Thanksgiving. Especially not as the only dish. I'd feel deprived.

4. Mac & Cheese - Exclusions Apply

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/meredithshow-food-cooking-m... GIPHY

Alright y'all this is serious. I looooooove mac and cheese but it has to look a certain way. I want it to be baked with a little brown cheese on top. It should come in a rectangular pan and it should have several different cheeses included. There need to be end pieces every one fights for. That is mac and cheese. That other stuff... and you know what I mean. That creamy looking Kraft mac and cheese is not allowed at my Thanksgiving. It's actually never allowed unless I am a broke college student that it extremely hungry and need something I can throw in the microwave. Or a busy mom who knows her kids love it and have to slowly ween them off of it. Otherwise DON'T LET ME CATCH IT ON MY TABLE.

5. Green Bean Casserole - What even is it?

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/parks-and-recreation-excuse... GIPHY

I've never had it so if it's the best thing in the world, I will be happy to retract my statement for but right now... I'm good. Let's not and say we did.

6. That Dish No One Will Touch or Claim

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/askreddit-llama-9ohlKnRDAmo... GIPHY

You know the one. How it ended up at the dinner, no one knows. But it's there and no one is touching it. Plus no one will say they made it. You know who you are and you know what you did. Don't bring that 'round here this year. Love you though.

7. Sweet Potato Pie

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/beyhive-vz4y4zptuKXHq">via GIPHY

PATTIE! But no seriously, sweet potato pie is a blessing and should be present on every table.

8. Pumpkin Pie - NO.

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/excuse-me-wait-what-3o6Zt7U... GIPHY

No, pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie are not the same thing. Yes, I do know the difference. Do not try to fool me. Keep your pumpkin at home and give me sweet potato.

9. Mashed Potatoes - I can be convinced

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/gilmoregirls-season-2-netfl... GIPHY

I looooove mashed potatoes so this is difficult. It's not something I'm used to at Thanksgiving but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Actually not, Mashed Potatoes you are invited.

10. Collard Greens - YASS

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/season-larry-jason-l8XYZYdl... GIPHY

I love these things man. They make your house stink but your taste buds sing. You will definitely want to include collard greens.

11. Dinner Rolls

Pretty self-explanatory. I think everyone loves bread.

So folks there you have it. I have listed the top foods I want to see and the foods I would rather not. Thanksgiving is coming up soon and I am ready to enjoy the time with family. And then to leave and work retail for Black Friday... seriously why does Black Firday start on Thursday? That's the real problem with consumerism, taking people away from their families just so they can shop. To distract you from that ending here are some funny gifs.

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/thanksgiving-food-yay-E2ROl... GIPHY

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/friends-thanksgiving-turkey...I

Thanksgiving has happened already, so I hope you had a great one!